• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 03:52:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,353
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 930
  • Online ever: 930
  • (Today at 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 795
Total: 795

Hell froze over.....

Started by Mugwump, November 06, 2014, 01:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...My computer is over 12+ years old....I run XP, only have a gig of ram....but it just purrs along fine.....it's been making a few HD noises, and I've swapped HD's before no sweat...but with the power supply fan starting to act up, etc.....I thought it's about time that I escaped the 90's...and moved on.... ;D
...So today I bought another one....even got a bargain on a 24" monitor...zounds!!!...I'd thought about getting sweet HP laptop like Jan's 17"...but with HP starting to move away from the laptop machines...thought better of it....I've had Dell's for many years...so I simply bought another... ;D...4 gigs of ram, and a terabyte HD....I'll likely add more ram..??  it has a great Intel processor clocking 3.30...something....which is fine....I looked at the i5's and i7's but decided that not being a 'true' gamer....it wasn't worth the extra costs.....
...however, if you here loud shreeks and screams....that's me and WIN 8.1 having a war... ;D ;D ;D....why anyone would wish that monstrosity on someone is a mystery to me.....but let's see what it'll let me delete...Bwa ha ha.....

....it's still in the boxes.....we're staring each other down.....Manny hissed at it.....not a good sign, huh????... 
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

I've got 8 on a touch screen laptop and it is just fine. Without touch screen it sucks.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on November 06, 2014, 01:34:22 PM
I've got 8 on a touch screen laptop and it is just fine. Without touch screen it sucks.

Does it constantly update???....and I hate nag screens...LOL...first thing is to turn off some notices...
I've heard that you can't turn off MS updates tho....???..some are bogus....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

You'll be just fine Jon.[emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2]
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on November 06, 2014, 01:54:33 PM
You'll be just fine Jon.[emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2]

I don't have any problems working on computers......it's the MS products that take a bit to get used to...so many redundant apps, and ambiguous apps......it's a joke....that's all...the control that they thrust upon users is criminal..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.....I may just partition and add another OS...or....just change HD's....???...
Jon

wsantia1

I don't log into a ms account when I use windows 8 but use a local logon id. It won't let me access some ms stuff but I don't care. The partition stuff is a good idea too.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on November 06, 2014, 02:34:54 PM
.....I may just partition and add another OS...or....just change HD's....???...

That's it, drop another HD in that baby and install a copy of Debian Wheezy or Jessie.  Just a bit of a learning curve, but once you're over that you'll never look back!!!   ;)

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on November 06, 2014, 03:38:27 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on November 06, 2014, 02:34:54 PM
.....I may just partition and add another OS...or....just change HD's....???...

That's it, drop another HD in that baby and install a copy of Debian Wheezy or Jessie.  Just a bit of a learning curve, but once you're over that you'll never look back!!!   ;)

Dennis

I've tossed that around in my head Dennis.... ;D   I'll see if it let's me run from a partition first...with a terabyte, there's plenty of room... ;D.....or I can add a Hd too.....???....

Jon

GraphicGr8s

Back in the day I had WFW, 95 (2 versions) 2000, and xp on one system. Now I just have XP and 7 on one system. 
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on November 06, 2014, 06:45:47 PM
Back in the day I had WFW, 95 (2 versions) 2000, and xp on one system. Now I just have XP and 7 on one system.

Sometimes I really miss 98se.....95 was great too....you could still get in the bowels of Windows...XP, I like.......after that they ruined most of it.....
Jon

BillT

When is Windoz 10 supposed to come out?

I have windows 8 on a laptop with a touch screen only because I have some programs that only run on windows.

I would classify my complaints into:
1) goes from normal to touch screen way too easy and often (by accident)
2) things pop out of the side of the screen when I am close to it but am busy doing something in a program
3) pop-ups form MS or other companies pop-up in middle of something I am doing, take me out of the program and stop what I am doing there.
4) sometimes it put files in places that are hard to find without going me some control (or notice) about what is going on.

I hardly use the touch screen.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on November 06, 2014, 07:41:31 PM
When is Windoz 10 supposed to come out?

I have windows 8 on a laptop with a touch screen only because I have some programs that only run on windows.

I would classify my complaints into:
1) goes from normal to touch screen way too easy and often (by accident)
2) things pop out of the side of the screen when I am close to it but am busy doing something in a program
3) pop-ups form MS or other companies pop-up in middle of something I am doing, take me out of the program and stop what I am doing there.
4) sometimes it put files in places that are hard to find without going me some control (or notice) about what is going on.

I hardly use the touch screen.

oy vey...... :o
Jon

LizStreithorst

I hope your having fun, Mug.  I absolutely despise windows 8.  How dare they take away XP and make you go from something that is intuitive to something that is hard and is a huge PITA!  When my darling  ancient Compaq PC with XP dies I will try Apple.  Microsoft taking something good and making it worse will simply not do.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 07, 2014, 07:28:29 PM
I hope your having fun, Mug.  I absolutely despise windows 8.  How dare they take away XP and make you go from something that is intuitive to something that is hard and is a huge PITA!  When my darling  ancient Compaq PC with XP dies I will try Apple.  Microsoft taking something good and making it worse will simply not do.

Still in the box.........launch day is Monday...;-).....even got a fresh copy of XP ready for the partition that I'll create...;-).....if that doesn't work....this HD will, I'll bet... ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

I heard that you could install XP.  The thing that I want most in XP (other than it's ease of use) is the photo software that comes with it in Microsoft office.  It doesn't do fancy stuff like clone, but it does what I want and it's easy to work.   If you install XP will is it possible to down load Microsoft Office Picture Manager?  Say yes and I will be your slave.
Always move forward. Never look back.