• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 07, 2024, 05:41:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,334
  • Total Topics: 18,537
  • Online today: 450
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 327
Total: 327

What and how

Started by LizStreithorst, March 17, 2017, 06:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Quote from: waterboy on March 20, 2017, 09:22:20 AM
Yup could very well be that the gold gene blocks the expression of pearl scale the same as it does Zebra, especially double dose as in a Plat.  Could very well have an affect on Wide Fins too. 

See you are already starting to do science.  You've made an observation of fact and recorded it here.  Next step would be to get curious as to why and figure out an experiment to find out.

Yes I agree that's what it is all about.

It's strange...Pat wanted me to document stuff with Discus a couple of times.  Alas, documenting is a huge PITA chore for me.  It would spoil my fun thing which is looking, and noticing stuff and scratching my head, and talking about it here.  It's all the documentation anyone is going to get from me.

The blushing Plats from the Ghost PS parents are what fascinating to me.  I swear to God of all the various fish in the spawn the blushing plats had more culls than good fish.  I wonder how many didn't even survive wiggler-hood?  I don't know if you bet but I'd give you odds that the blushing plats are PS like they should be and that there is something very bad in the make up of their recessive genes that showed up when the blushing gene did.

I've never gone looking but does anyone here ever see Blue Platinum blushing pearlscales for sale?  I bet not.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 20, 2017, 02:32:44 PM
Quote from: waterboy on March 20, 2017, 09:22:20 AM
Yup could very well be that the gold gene blocks the expression of pearl scale the same as it does Zebra, especially double dose as in a Plat.  Could very well have an affect on Wide Fins too. 

See you are already starting to do science.  You've made an observation of fact and recorded it here.  Next step would be to get curious as to why and figure out an experiment to find out.

Yes I agree that's what it is all about.

It's strange...Pat wanted me to document stuff with Discus a couple of times.  Alas, documenting is a huge PITA chore for me.  It would spoil my fun thing which is looking, and noticing stuff and scratching my head, and talking about it here.  It's all the documentation anyone is going to get from me.

The blushing Plats from the Ghost PS parents are what fascinating to me.  I swear to God of all the various fish in the spawn the blushing plats had more culls than good fish.  I wonder how many didn't even survive wiggler-hood?  I don't know if you bet but I'd give you odds that the blushing plats are PS like they should be and that there is something very bad in the make up of their recessive genes that showed up when the blushing gene did.

I've never gone looking but does anyone here ever see Blue Platinum blushing pearlscales for sale?  I bet not.

...if pearl is present in two copies of the gene...it will express.....G/G only inhibits darker genes, black, smokey from expressing.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson