• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 06:30:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,357
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 185
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 86
Total: 86

Ubuntu 14

Started by Mugwump, February 27, 2015, 03:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

I just downloaded Ubutu 14 to use on the new rig......I need to read some more about dual booting with Windoze tho.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Mugwump

LOL....hey, how easy is it use the boot flash stick, or cd with Ubutu ?...

I'm thinking dual boot system....how do I get a start up prompt for it, in lieu of going into the system each time???....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Also, here'san Ubutu tour for those interested...??

http://www.ubuntu.com/tour/en/
Jon

Mugwump

also, is Gnome' desktop that good??....
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on February 27, 2015, 04:01:44 PM
LOL....hey, how easy is it use the boot flash stick, or cd with Ubutu ?...

You should be able to place the disc in the system and boot from that if the bios is set correctly.  That way you can try it out without actually installing anything.  Keep in mind it will be running from the CD/DVD drive so it will be slow.....

As for the dual boot, it used to be the Ubuntu installer would take care of all that for you, but some of the new systems especially with Windoze won't allow for dual boot.....  it's just another dirty trick from your friends at Microsoft.

Dennis

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on February 27, 2015, 04:15:25 PM
also, is Gnome' desktop that good??....

I loved the old version of Gnome, the new version , not so much.  The great part is that with open source software a large group of the Gnome developers didn't care for the new direction the software was heading so they left and created Mate.  It's like the old version of Gnome only better.   ;D ;D ;D

There must be about two dozen different desktops that run on Linux so it's not too hard to find one you like.  http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/783109-how-to-choose-the-best-linux-desktop-for-you

Dennis

BallAquatics

So how is your Ubuntu adventure going Jon?

Dennis

Mugwump

I'm still in decision mode....the desktop link was great....some nice ones there.

I like KDE..

and the DEEPIN...

but I'm still digesting the install process involved Win 8.yada yada....

Jon