• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 03:24:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,334
  • Total Topics: 18,537
  • Online today: 380
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 340
Total: 341

Excellant Animation of How Biology Works

Started by BillT, February 08, 2015, 06:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

This shows the "Central Dogma" of molecular biology in action with a good relative scaling of the parts and at "Real" time.

http://new.labroots.com/video/id/732

The "Central Dogma" is that:

DNA encodes information in its Nucleotide sequence (A, T, C, G in various orders)
The DNA sequence is used to make a corresponding RNA sequence (A, U, C, G in a corresponding order)
This is called transcription and is done by RNA polymerase enzymes.
The RNA sequences is used to direct the assembly of whatever protein the code is directing it to make.
The is called translation and is done by the ribosomes.

Proteins do most of the work in the cells, enzymes (to control chemical reactions), structural elements (to make a cell long or branchy or flat or whatever), contractile elements (actin and myson in muscles), ion channels (so the nervous system can function), hormones, receptors (which react to hormones and nerve cell transmitters), egg yolk has a lot of protein as food for the developing embryo.

It nice for me to see how fast (or in this case slow) these things are going.

The small balls are atoms, the physical building blocks that are the basis of chemistry and biochemistry.

Life is like a car (a cell) made of chemical nano-machines (proteins and nucleic acids) which it makes itself, and the driver is the DNA's instructions.

Mugwump

Thanks a well done explanation....and the link...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

That was an interesting link. Fascinating stuff.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)