• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 10:20:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,334
  • Total Topics: 18,537
  • Online today: 380
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 341
Total: 341

Help choosing a computer

Started by LizStreithorst, February 06, 2015, 07:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I will be replacing Old Faithful.  She has been faithful to me for 13 years.  As much as I love her she is an antique.  Her hardware is out of date.  She is a desktop.  I like that because I like having a seperate keyboard.  I like the big monititor being it's own thing, too.

I don't have a clue what I should buy to replace her.  I checked out the Microsoft store but they mostly spoke in Greek.  I am at a loss.  Can anybody offer a suggestion or do I need to call my sweet young fix-it computer lad.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

My old Dells have never let me down....just picked a new Dell..Inspiron 3000 series..with a 24" monitor.......A terabyte HD, and 4 gigs of ram.....couldn't be happier...about $650.00...I took the extended warranty like last time too...last time my monitor went on the fritz after 3yrs..called them and had a new one in two days...BOOMBA.....

Jan's HP laptop that I found on BooKoo for $300 is a dream machine...huge monitor and purrs, but HP desktops are lacking now days because I heard that they're getting away from that product....??

I'm sure Dennis will chime in.....he's the pro on these things.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Did you buy it at a store or on line.  On line I see these.  They never speak in English when I look for things on line that are over my head.  http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-3847-desktop/pd
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on February 06, 2015, 07:32:32 PM
I'm sure Dennis will chime in.....he's the pro on these things.... ;D

You definitely can't go wrong with a Dell.  Personally, for the past 10 years or so, I've been getting IBM systems that have come off lease.  Fantastic systems where someone else has paid the price and I get the rewards.

For example, my last two systems, the state of Tennessee paid about $6500 for these IBM IntelliStation Z Pro systems.  I've got about $120 shipped in each of them.  There are dozens of brokers and even Dell Computer to be found on E-Bay.  Dell used to sell lots of refurbished systems with new warranties on E-Bay, they still may, but I'm not sure.

Here's an example of a ThinkCentre M58 Core 2 Duo C2D 2.8GHz 2GB 250GB system for $109.95 shipped with 1 year warranty.....  you could probably offer less and still get one...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181424643687?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Dennis

GraphicGr8s

We recently bought a Dell from Staples for a workstation in my shop. My graphics system is a custom job from Dell. Good solid machines. Heck my 8 year old system from Dell is still strong. But that was another custom design specifically for graphics. I just got tired of building them myself and when we were looking at work an IT customer said Dell. I was a might bit reluctant but after running it for a while fell in love with Dell. The work system is probably 10 years old.
I've got a Dell laptop with Win 8 on it that's decent. My 17" HP I bought a few years ago simply sucks. I hate to use it for anything.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

This message is being typed on a Dell that we bought in 2001....LOL...it still creaks, and groans along for easy basic things....it'll likely end up with the g'kids for simple learning 'proggies' and/or games...??...
Jon