• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 19, 2024, 08:15:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,357
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 185
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 78
Total: 78

Monday night pondering.

Started by GraphicGr8s, February 02, 2015, 09:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GraphicGr8s

So I've been thinking of redoing the fish house. Taking all the tanks outside and fixing the electrical mistake and the drywall I drilled through. OK not really an electrical mistake. I cut the opening for another box right behind an existing one. And forgot I used 2x3 for the wall studs.
Plus it's getting a bit of mold so Binz would help a bit and it could use a painting. And it would allow me to actually clean it up and set it up better. And I do need a spot to feature the Metaframes.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

I've thought of redoing the fish room too....I need to plumb draining pvc, at least in some areas where it's easily more accessible to the floor drain in the furnace room, etc...right now the tanks are drained by hose.......even if I can get just the larger tanks hooked up, it would save a lot of time.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

I've been thinking of a redo too!  I want to change my racks from running east/west to north/south.  Would be a major pain as I need to move out at least 3 racks, about 54 tanks, just to get room to start.

Have to wait and see what my schedule is like when spring gets here.

Dennis

GraphicGr8s

I thought I had a lot of tanks at 59. Exactly how many do you have? To redo mine I have to relocate 55 tanks total. The last 4 are in the actual house. The fish house is only 14 x 20. With A/C, phone and internet of course.

Looking at that rack you used plywood on your shelving. Mine are open. One farm I was at had all his tanks on 2 lengths of galvanized pipe instead of actual racks. Puts to rest all the hoopla over full support beneath glass tanks seeing as I bought a dozen of his tanks and even after 30 years didn't leak with only pipe support.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

BallAquatics

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on February 03, 2015, 10:40:32 PM
I thought I had a lot of tanks at 59. Exactly how many do you have? To redo mine I have to relocate 55 tanks total. The last 4 are in the actual house. The fish house is only 14 x 20. With A/C, phone and internet of course.

I quite counting at 84 several years ago.  Since then I've added a truck load of 40 breeders from the $1 per gallon sale, countless "great buys" on tanks at club auctions, and the 21 tanks I scored last fall from the old guy cutting back.....

My fish room is a converted 24' X 28' attached 2.5 car garage.  It's far from complete and I only have tanks in about half of it. The racks are 42" apart.  It's what I call a "working" fish room although I do have a networked computer system out there.  When it's done I'd like to have a small seating area with one of my vintage stereo systems so I can spin some vinyl while I work with the fish.

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on February 03, 2015, 10:40:32 PM
Looking at that rack you used plywood on your shelving. Mine are open.

Yes, on my "small tank" racks I used wood shelving.  I can put 10's or 15's ends out, or 2 - 20 longs long ways with 4 - 5.5's behind them.  The "big tank", (40 & up), racks don't have wood shelving, just 2x4 rails.

Dennis

GraphicGr8s

I've decided to stop at 59. It was 50 but 4 Metaframes came my way and somehow the tanks spawned and had 5 babies. Never knew tanks could breed. I'm out of room. Sort of.

PaulineMi

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on February 04, 2015, 08:05:33 PM
I've decided to stop at 59. It was 50 but 4 Metaframes came my way and somehow the tanks spawned and had 5 babies. Never knew tanks could breed. I'm out of room. Sort of.

What species of fish do you keep?.....breed? 
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: PaulineMi on February 05, 2015, 05:43:24 AM
Quote from: GraphicGr8s on February 04, 2015, 08:05:33 PM

What species of fish do you keep?.....breed?

Right now it's a mish mash. Mostly livebearers but some bettas, couple of cichlids. Gouramis.
And of course angels.
I haven't decided what I want to focus on. Right now it's more just for total enjoyment for me. Back in the early 80's I was breeding angels and gouramis and tetras. Nothing tickles my fancy enough to start a breeding program just yet.

Ron Sower

I feel so small and insignificant on this thread. I've got the 55, 12, and 2-5's set up.  :-[  ..... ::) But I do have 2-55s and a 65 sitting outside...Do they count?  ???  Oh.. ::).. and I do have a bare 10 set up in the extra bedroom holding my extra plants and trimmings.. ::)...And about 5 more small ones stored in the shed.  ::)  The 65 will come inside as soon as I get the stand and hood stripped and stained to go with our decor.     Come on, help me out here!... ;D ;D ;D....PLEEEEEEZE TELL ME THEY COUNT!!!!... ;D ;D  ;D....DPULLEEEEEEEZE!?!???  ;D ;D ;D You guys are my heroes and I need your support here.  ;)

The most I ever had running was 27 with 25 empties sitting stacked on each other in the garage! But that still doesn't stack up against you big dogs! :(
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

I think that they'd count.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Geez Ron! I'm a sissy here....I have a 90, three 75s, a 29 and a 10 running with fish. A 55 and a 40 breeder (and a Rubbermaid barrel) are used for aging water. There's a 55, a 29, a 20 and three 4 gallon tanks sitting around empty.

Actually writing this made me realize I have a few more tanks than I thought I had.  :o
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on February 05, 2015, 12:36:43 PM
Geez Ron! I'm a sissy here....I have a 90, three 75s, a 29 and a 10 running with fish. A 55 and a 40 breeder (and a Rubbermaid barrel) are used for aging water. There's a 55, a 29, a 20 and three 4 gallon tanks sitting around empty.

Actually writing this made me realize I have a few more tanks than I thought I had.  :o

Come on Pauline....you can fit more tanks in there..... ;D
Jon

Ron Sower

Quote from: PaulineMi on February 05, 2015, 12:36:43 PM

As I started writing mine I realized I had the 10g in the back room holding plants waiting to go into the 65 of off to the auction this tuesday night!

Quote from: Mugwump on February 05, 2015, 11:24:29 AM
I think that they'd count.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D....
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  I feel emotional!  ::)
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

GraphicGr8s

So let's see.

12 - 8 gallon angel breeders
10 - 10 gallon
2- 15
4 - 20L
2 - 20H
12 - 22 breeders
3- 29
1-30
1- 40B
3-55
1-45L
1-75
1-90

1-5 Metaframe
2-10 Metaframes
3-55 Metaframes

So what's running?

4-8
10-10
2-15
3-20L
2-20H
5-22
4-55  (2 of them are Metaframes)
1-75

Crap.  I thought I only had 30 running. See? They multiply when I am not looking.

Mugwump

12 - 8 gallon angel breeders

You're breeding angels in 8 gallon tanks??......very odd...?? no parent raisers I take it....nor veils??...
Jon