• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 09:02:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 707
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 560
Total: 560

LED tube lights

Started by PaulineMi, June 03, 2014, 07:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

I have shop lights suspended over the tanks in the fish room. LED tubes that I thought I could put in the shop light would require removing the ballast and doing something with wiring. Looking futher I found this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-26-Watt-White-LED-Chain-Mount-Shoplight-1290L/204378710

Does anyone have experience with this type of lighting? Would it be worth it? For ease of maintenance I prefer hanging the lights rather than having them on the tanks.

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

I've seen them but they were 'pricey' when they first showed up....not a bad price now...nice rig...how high would you hang it above the tank?....you might need to experiment..??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

The color temp of 4000K won't help your plant growth any, if that's an important factor to you, Pauline.

"Energy-efficient LED technology offers 35% energy savings over a T12 fluorescent fixture"...I would prefer to see it compared to T8's and T5"s which are more energy efficient even than T12's....And I'd bet that's what you're using now.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

EdKaz

FROM THE LINK you posted:
"Produces 1,700 Lumens of light (4000K) while only consuming 26 watts"

THE light in the link.......... produces just 65 Lumens per watt.

The average T8 FLOUR  bulbs produce  aprox 87 lumens per watt

T5   bulbs produce  aprox 100 lumens per watt

What's a Lumen?
Lumens measure how much light you are getting from a bulb. More lumens means it's a brighter light; fewer lumens means it's a dimmer light.[/i]

QuoteThe color temp of 4000K won't help your plant growth any, if that's an important factor to you, Pauline.

Neither will the relatively LOW output of that fixture compared to a two bulb, and even a single bulb florescent tube

PaulineMi

Good points....thanks for the unput.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)