• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 06:15:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,337
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 609
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 603
Total: 603

Weather

Started by LizStreithorst, January 27, 2014, 08:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I know that I have no right to bitch about the weather, but....The weather this January has simply killed my business.  Saturdays and Sundays have been simply lovely with highs in the 50s and 60's.  Monday rolls around and it turns bitterly cold.  Everyone goes into hibernation mode.  Everyone thinks that it's too cold to have the dog groomed.  Last week I had 4 dogs between Tuesday and Friday.  Saturday when it was warmer I had 5.  It will be the worst yet this week.  It's still in the 50s now but the temp will be dropping all day.  We will have freezing rain tonight.  Freezing rain for crying out loud!  No sense in even trying to slip and slide the 12 miles into work tomorrow.  How does the weather man expect me support my 10 dogs, 2 horses, one cat and my multitude of wild birds?  I'm an easy keeper compared to my critters.  I can survive on beer alone.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

I feel for you Liz...this latest stretch weather has changed how folks are going about their business...when it gets really bad out, most just say "we'll make do with what we've got until the next break in this crap"....then go on a splurge next time out to get plenty of extras to hedge against the next onslaught of this foul junky weather....business's might as well close and open on the nicer days....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 27, 2014, 08:27:05 AM.....How does the weather man expect me support my 10 dogs, 2 horses, one cat and my multitude of wild birds? ....

And don't forget your herd of fish!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

Oh joy.  3/4 inch ice accumulation on the roads tomorrow.  We should be prepared for power outages which I am not.  My fish room generator doesn't work.  I'm going into the shop now to leave a faucet running, turn up the heat and feed the poor fish.  Generally the weather service talks in terms of the worst possible outcome.  Sometimes, they're right.

LizStreithorst

I can't believe this.  It's still 55 degrees outside.  The governor of the State and all the other important weather and road maintenance people and some guy from the high way patrol have been talking on an emergency broadcast for the past hour.  They were honest.  They said that this incoming stuff has the potential to be very bad, but it might not be too bad.  It could go either way.  He mentioned the possibility of a 3/4" build up of ice.  We have been advised not to get on the roads until Thursday morning.  I'm hoping for the 3 to 4 inches of snow.  It could be snow.  It could go either way.  They don't know.  All I know is that I don't want freezing rain.  I'm grateful that the crews from Dixie Electric have recently been removing overhanging limbs in my county.  They even did my place at the end of the road out in the country.

ilroost

Yes snow is always better than ice, at least you can drive in the snow. Ice not so much

Mugwump

Yep, plus....it's real hard to make an 'ice-man'... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on January 27, 2014, 05:28:09 PM
Yep, plus....it's real hard to make an 'ice-man'... ;D

Mug, you smart ass...If I don't survive this horror you will be sorry :-* :P

LizStreithorst

I have lived in this area of Mississippi for 40 years and I've seen all different weather.  I have never seen this here.  It looks like snow, which we have once in a blue moon.  It's not snow.  It's tiny little pellets of ice.  They've been bouncing off the roof and making their pretty little tinkle sound you hear when you stick your head out the door.  They say for us to stay huddled up (they call it sheltering in place ::))until Thursday morning because it will only get above freezing tomorrow for long enough to make it icier when it gets cold again. 

Barb

Wow, now there is a rare sight in your neck o' the woods!  Stay warm Liz, it is coming here too.
Barb

Mugwump

Now that is definitely soup/chili weather....stay warm, stay safe....
Jon

LizStreithorst

What I'd really like is a nice warm brownie but I understand that Scott ate them all.

It changed to snow about 45 minutes ago.   Coming down pretty good, too.  I'll get a pic in the morning.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 28, 2014, 03:17:37 PM
What I'd really like is a nice warm brownie but I understand that Scott ate them all.

It changed to snow about 45 minutes ago.   Coming down pretty good, too.  I'll get a pic in the morning.

Hunker down and relax......pop some tunes on.... ;D
Jon