• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 04:01:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 799
  • Online ever: 799
  • (Today at 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 760
Total: 760

Danio kyathit

Started by PaulineMi, January 11, 2013, 03:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

Dennis do you normally have the Danio kyathit available along with the Celestial pearl danio?  Is there a problem with cross breeding if kept together?
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BallAquatics

Pauline, I often have the striped version of Danio kyathit available.  I have not had any luck spawning the spotted version of kyathit as of yet.

Here's a short video of some of my first F1's

No problems with these fish cross breeding.  Danio kyathit is around 50 mm or 2 inches long when full grown.

Dennis

PaulineMi

They're pretty little fish!  Could a group of perhaps a dozen of them with a dozen CPDs go well in my planted 40 breeder? 

There are currently 3 rummynose tetras, 2 little sumo loaches, 2 little chain loaches and a rubber lipped pleco in the tank. I just love keeping a bunch of tiny fish....used to keep tiny tanks with tiny plants and tiny fish for awhile.  Lol. 

Here are some furcata rainbows in a 4 gallon.  Except for the rummynose and loaches I lost all of my little guys when a group of featherfin rainbows brought a disease in. Learned about QT fast and hard.

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

BallAquatics

Quote from: PaulineMi on January 11, 2013, 05:39:42 PM
Could a group of perhaps a dozen of them with a dozen CPDs go well in my planted 40 breeder?

I'm not 100%, but I think they would do OK together.  I've never noticed the kyathit being aggressive with any of their tank mates.  In a planted 40 breeder, each group would probably keep to themselves.  If I get a chance, I'll set some up in the same tank and see how they act.  Worst case, the little CPD's will be intimidated by the larger kyathit.

Your rainbow fish are very lovely.  They are another of those fish that I tell myself, when I get some free tank space, I'm going to have some of those!

Dennis

Frank The Plumber

Have you bred the fircatas yet Pauline? They are lovely.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

PaulineMi

Dennis I kept my previous CPDs in a planted 55 that had 6 diamond tetras,  6 praecox rainbows, a pair of swordtails and some featherfin rainbows.  There was an area with a clump of Java moss on driftwood where the CPDs happily hung out chasing and displaying for each other.

Hopefully these guys will work out well together.  Being a 40 breeder though I could always put a divider in it.

PaulineMi

Quote from: Frank The Plumber on January 11, 2013, 06:42:02 PM
Have you bred the fircatas yet Pauline? They are lovely.

Thanks but no. Sadly I bought these and a group of featherfin rainbows from my LFS and brought in some virulent disease that killed off everything in the tank within one week's time.  It was sickening. The store is very good about quarantining their new fish and have healthy stock. It just took that one time after year's of dealing with them to scare me off LFS fish now.

BillT

That's a beautiful picture Dennis.