• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 11, 2024, 01:20:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 561
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 513
Total: 514

Friday's coffee...snow?

Started by Mugwump, February 12, 2016, 06:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...coffee is super good this morn'n...MMmmmm....cold out at 17deg's with a bit of snow this morn'n and maybe 3" on Sunday....crazy..late next week calls for near 50deg's..we sure haven't seen that in awhile... ;D

..some water changes and general putz'n on tap today....nothing planned, but I'm sure something will pop up..... huh

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Just getting up and slept really good. Coffee is great so I will have a second cup before I head outside. It is 14 degrees here with temps on the decline. This will be the coldest stretch so far this year. Going up into the 40s by midweek.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BallAquatics

I've got a good head start on both of you today.....  third pot, (since 2:00am), going down nice and smooth here.  Was doing some on-line study yesterday afternoon and fell asleep on the couch.  Didn't wake up till 2:00am and have been up ever since.

It's a balmy 12?F here, but we are heading for a heatwave.....  it was only 2?F at 2:45am.  LOL

Dennis

Mugwump

Pot #2.....MMmmmm....shucks, just checked and didn't win Lotto last night....... :'(
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

..quite frankly, not much got done today...except a really nice nap.... |^|
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on February 12, 2016, 01:43:12 PM
..quite frankly, not much got done today...except a really nice nap.... |^|

Doing my WCs now. It takes me about 2.5 hours is I don't run into any issues. So far everything is going good. It helps that I have been doing other stuff on the tanks during the week. mim mim mim
Willie

LizStreithorst

2 1/2 hrs?  How many gallons of water in your tanks?  I have 1400 gallons and WC takes me 30 minutes, and I change a ton of water!

I think it was around 70 degrees here today.  It even was warmer yesterday so I bathed Charlotte.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 12, 2016, 03:25:59 PM
2 1/2 hrs?  How many gallons of water in your tanks?  I have 1400 gallons and WC takes me 30 minutes, and I change a ton of water!

I think it was around 70 degrees here today.  It even was warmer yesterday so I bathed Charlotte.

I only have about 900 gallons but with my equipment that's how long it takes. huh
Willie

LizStreithorst

I could make it faster for you, Willie.  A couple of pumps and a bit of plumbing is all it would take huh

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 12, 2016, 03:44:15 PM
I could make it faster for you, Willie.  A couple of pumps and a bit of plumbing is all it would take huh

Thanks for the offer Liz. I'll take you up on in. |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
Willie

LizStreithorst

All your tanks are in one room, right?  If so, I can do it.  I will never be in Delaware.  I could maybe do it with good pics.  I can exchange pics of our fish rooms with one another via PM.  But pics are a far cry from being there and it will take me way longer.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 12, 2016, 04:31:25 PM
All your tanks are in one room, right?  If so, I can do it.  I will never be in Delaware.  I could maybe do it with good pics.  I can exchange pics of our fish rooms with one another via PM.  But pics are a far cry from being there and it will take me way longer.

Yes all of my tanks are in the basement. What I do now is drain the tanks with a Python connected to a Wayne pump and I fill up the tanks with a different Python connected to a utility sink that's in the laundry room on the second floor. The filling takes the longest time since the water pressure is lousy. That's partially due to how narrow the hose is.
Willie

LizStreithorst

In a perfect world you would have a floor drain or be able to drill a hole in the wall to fit a 1" pipe and drain into the garden, as I do.   One requires you to be rich.  The other requires you to live where the discharge pipe won't freeze.    Other wise it would take a ditchwitch.

How lousy is your water pressure?  Do you have a water pressure meter?  I have one but I haven't used it in so long I cannot lay my hands on it.  I remember being impressed at how much pressure I had.  My RO unit says that I have 60.  I think it measures in bars and I don't know what bars are huh  Every time water is moved into the house it gets reduced to 1/2".  It makes more pressure out of the tap but fewer gpm.  Still, a larger diameter hose would help a lot.  Those hugely expensive ones I bought a while back make huge difference.

Truth be told, I'd have to live in the frozen north to best figure out how to change your water fast.  Our situations are very different.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on February 12, 2016, 06:08:37 PM
In a perfect world you would have a floor drain or be able to drill a hole in the wall to fit a 1" pipe and drain into the garden, as I do.   One requires you to be rich.  The other requires you to live where the discharge pipe won't freeze.    Other wise it would take a ditchwitch.

How lousy is your water pressure?  Do you have a water pressure meter?  I have one but I haven't used it in so long I cannot lay my hands on it.  I remember being impressed at how much pressure I had.  My RO unit says that I have 60.  I think it measures in bars and I don't know what bars are huh  Every time water is moved into the house it gets reduced to 1/2".  It makes more pressure out of the tap but fewer gpm.  Still, a larger diameter hose would help a lot.  Those hugely expensive ones I bought a while back make huge difference.

Truth be told, I'd have to live in the frozen north to best figure out how to change your water fast.  Our situations are very different.

The way my basement is situated it is actually a little bit below the sewer line so there is an extraction pump that pumps water up from the basement powder room to the pipe that feeds the sewer line. The pump is like a sump pump and has a 16 gallon capacity well. I drain the tank water into the toilet which fills the well and is then extracted by the pump.

We certainly do have different plumbing situations for sure. lol. What type of hose did you get?

I find that I am finished draining the tanks and I am sitting around waiting for them to fill. Maybe I will try that route first.
Willie

Mugwump

..use a 100 gal tub in the basement...then pump with a nice size submersible pump... |^|....you can run the water through sediment/carbon filters like I do...and refill as many times as needed.......drain while your filling the tub, and while refilling your tanks.....a handy remote switch allows clamping the hose to the tanks for either filling/draining...and doing the other across the room.... ;D

you can even store the water with a heater, if ya want...........cover the tub with an old vinyl shower curtain...ta da

about 1500 gals here, I/we can change over half in less than an hour....all in under two hours.....the longer times (2-3 hrs) get when you're wiping and deep cleaning gravel, etc....
Jon