• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 11:34:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 652
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 640
Total: 640

Got a Mallard Saturday..

Started by Ron Sower, May 19, 2014, 10:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

Made a deal last Wednesday to buy a 23' Fleetwood Mallard travel trailer. So Friday I went to a friend's used car dealership, and we bought a 2003 Jeep Cherokee which, when we looked it up, would pull 7,000 lbs. Drove an hour Saturday up to Everett, WA to pick the trailer up.

I met them at the DOL and paid out $575 for the transfer and all the taxes and fees our wonderful state gubment loves to get from us whenever they can.

For $400 the fellow had the torque bars to attach so it wouldn't sway, hooked them up and then we took it to the tire dealer to put new stems in the 4 tires. They wouldn't do it because the tires were too old and showed cracks in the sidewalls.  Shame on me...I just looked at them and saw the good tread and thought okay, they're good! So that was another $575!

Pulled the rig back to Federal Way with no towing problems at all.  However, from the left front wheel of the Jeep, I can hear a steady higher pitched light squeal. If I turn right the squeal disappears. Straighten the car out and it's back again. Turn left, hear a little of it.

I'm gonna take it back to my dealer friend today to see if he can help me with it. Any of you have any ideas? 

Also, the cruise control light comes on when I press the button, but the system doesn't work. Is this an easy fix?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

front wheel bearing.....'bone yard' may have a cruise control handle cheap.....or try WD40 first  ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

You might also look at the brake pads. When they get a little shine to them they can give you a little noise. If you rough up the pads, the noise goes away. I had a van that was like that. The dealer would fix it because it was new. Once the warranty expired I didn't take the brakes apart to fix the squeak.

IMHO A wheel bearing is more of a low throbbing growl. It can also come and go with steering wheel direction.

Mugwump

Quote from: Rjb3 on May 19, 2014, 02:32:36 PM
You might also look at the brake pads. When they get a little shine to them they can give you a little noise. If you rough up the pads, the noise goes away. I had a van that was like that. The dealer would fix it because it was new. Once the warranty expired I didn't take the brakes apart to fix the squeak.

IMHO A wheel bearing is more of a low throbbing growl. It can also come and go with steering wheel direction.

"Pulled the rig back to Federal Way with no towing problems at all.  However, from the left front wheel of the Jeep, I can hear a steady higher pitched light squeal. If I turn right the squeal disappears. Straighten the car out and it's back again. Turn left, hear a little of it. "

That's why I suggested checking the bearings.....brakes are likely the culprit, you may be right?..

power steering pump..or unibelt??....check PS fluid....belt loose?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

By golly! I really appreciate your replies, guys! I grabbed an older-timer than I today and we drove the Jeep with Duckie (the Mallard trailer ) over a mtn pass and back. He's got an Airstream that he's been traveling in for 36 years! I figured he'd be able to give me some sage advice on the road; and that he did! His basic advicewas that I would be pulling weight at the maximum level for the Jeep and I should get a stronger tow vehicle. 

Soooo, I called my friend at the car lot. I found out that he was in the hospital and they were contemplating amputating his leg!! He's heading to another hospital for another opinion. What a shock!

Anyway the guy at the office said bring it back and he'll give me something else to try this holiday to the campground. I believe it will be a Durango with a tow package on it!  We'll see how that works. I'd really have some kind of SUV than a pickup so Linda will drive it.  She's not much on driving trucks...! :D

So we'll see what goes over the holiday..!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

...good luck, be safe out there.... ;D
Jon