• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 11:37:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 513
Total: 513

A Christmas Story

Started by Ron Sower, December 22, 2021, 09:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

I moved in with Linda  in June of 1998. We married in October, 1998. Her Mom died in February, 1999. During that span of time I got to know her Mom and Dad fairly well. Her Mom, Nadine, was a ball of energy and always full of spirit. Fun to be around. Christmas Spirit was part of that...in fact for many years, Nadine had purchased a Christmas pin to wear for the Season each year. When she died and they were going through her things to keep or dispose, Linda made sure she kept the collection of Christmas pins.

A year or so later she made a shadow box with woven ribbons as the background and arranged and secured the Christmas pins in it. Actually, she made two shadow boxes and gave one to her daughter, Jenifer, (and now my daughter too!...and, yes, it's spelled with one "n"). Linda and Jenifer both treasure these shadow boxes.

Ok...that's the back story!

Yesterday I went to the grocery store to pick up ingredients to make fudge and peanut brittle. The place was jammed and the checkout lines were long...about 15 to 20 minute wait lines. In the line next to me there was a small, kinda thin older little lady talking on her phone. I noticed she had a green Christmas tree pin on her jacket lapel. I waited for her to finish her conversation and went over to tell her I really like seeing the pin and related why...that being the back story I laid out above. She smiled and started to undo the pin and said, "Here, I want you to have this for your wife." I told her, "No. I can't take that. I just wanted you to know you brought back some good memories for me". She held it out to me and said, "Please take it. I have colon cancer and I want you to take it." My eyes got a little wet then, and I asked what her name was. She replied that it was Jenifer!!! I told her that was my stepdaughter's name, and she looked up at me and she said, "There, you see! You're supposed to have the pin!"

We wished each other very Merry Christmas, and moved forward in our checkout lines. This story isn't over  yet, though,

There was a tall fellow behind me who mentioned something like, that was so nice of her...I turned around to him and said I had no idea she would do that and I have chills from it.  He said, "I do too!"

I can't help but think that she's knows she's going to experience her last Christmas and is still sharing heartfelt warmth and joy with others...even the guy behind me!

Jenifer's gift pin is at the lower right of the frame.

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Barb

That is a wonderful story Ron!  Thanks so much for sharing it with us.  I love the shadowbox, and though I only have a few pins, I can sure appreciate the love and work in that piece of art.
Barb

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

That's a touching story and a nice piece of writing.  Thank you Ron.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Thank you...all of you. It was heartwarming to share! :)
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron