• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 12, 2024, 01:38:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 543
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 524
Total: 524

Eagles

Started by PaulineMi, November 20, 2013, 07:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

When I opened the blinds this morning an eagle soared past the house. Then a second one soared by. Living on a small lake we got to watch nature in action. The two eagles were trying to catch a small diving duck right in front of our house.

The two eagles were soaring and skimming the surface of the lake putting on an adventure show for 20 minutes. At one point they sat on shore just north of us. That's when the duck headed towards a cat tail stand in the water on the edge of our yard. One of the eagles simply flew off into the distance at this point. The second eagle noticed the direction the duck headed and we got a real show.

The eagle flew past our window, flew upwards then dropped with its wings partially closed. It skimmed the tops of the cat tails, decided to fly away and up popped the little duck....about 50 yards south of the cat tail stand. 
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

We were fishing the flowages up in No. Wisc one early summer...had an eagle land on an exposed stump about 5 ft from the boat....just a quick shadow, then plopped right on it...beautiful birds.
  One of daughter's in law is from Savanna, Ill...right on the Mississippi, it's one of their nesting grounds....lots of eagles out that way....
  You're so lucky to have they near by to watch....I'm jealous ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

I don't think I ever saw one in the wild in 51 years of living in Virginia.  But out here they abound! It's always a breathtaking moment for me when I see them, soaring or perched.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BillT

Went fishing with a friend and the kids three or four years ago. Were catching no fish until my friend Jack hooked one when we decided to go in.
As he was reeling it in, a bald eagle swooped down and grabbed the fish off the line.
Jack tells the story when I'm around because no one would believe him if I'm not there to support his story.

PaulineMi

Just found this photo from a winter or two ago.  I took the picture from my house:

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

wsantia1

Wow! What a setting. Very nice picture.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Good pic, Pauline....that's a super shot!!!
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Thanks.  We're actually surrounded by farms and a couple of gravel pits. But it's our little piece of heaven when this type of thing occurs. 

I am worried obout "our eagles" though.  Very, very large wind turbines are going up in huge numbers about 10 miles north of where these eagles are from, about 20 miles north of us. I read a comparison that said a hunting bird of prey in the area of the turbines is like a person texting while they are driving. They're so focused on looking down they don't realize the danger until it's too late.  :-\

JR

That is a awesome pic. Pauline.  Your very lucky to have them that close
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day