• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 06:35:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 503
Total: 504

THOUGHTS?

Started by EdKaz, April 18, 2014, 09:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdKaz

As some of you already know, I just recently started my fishroom back up. Bought a few pairs and some juvies.

Did a big water change in the 80gal long tank yesterday that I have 16 of the bigger Juvies in.

An hour later a smokey pinoy and one of the pb smokey leopards started cleaning a slate. Pulled em stuck em in a 20 and a few hours later, she laid....he went through the motions of fertilizing....they took a break..........than ate the eggs ::)

This morning Im watching as two more pairs seem to be forming. The round belly girls are showing tubes, as are the boys with them. meanwhile the left behinds or left outs are being brutally chased from both ends of the tank by the new pairs.

Id be willing to bet these other pairs will also eat their eggs if/when they lay, but will probably pull the pairs and stick em in 20's of their own just to find out for sure.

On the other hand, Im also debating with myself that if I leave em in the big tank with the others....MAYBE  their protective instincts will keep em from eating their own eggs??????

Either way, They seem a lil small/young to be spawning already so my thoughts were to take a 55, split it in 3 with dividers for the 3 pairs where seeing each other MAY keep em distracted from laying again too quickly,and so I can feed em REAL good and try to get em grown up some more before they lay again...and again.

My other concern is for the others in the tank, the chasing and beating on those "NOT involved" sure looks pretty brutal :(

YOUR THOUGHTS....SUGGESTIONS....IDEAS????

Mugwump

Myself, the initial pairings, and spawns..I like to leave with the parents...most times I'll let em for several spawns..then I move them and possibly pull a second spawn after they've been alone...they seem to bond better that way....toss a couple fake plants in the middle of the pair off tank...it'll provide a simple divider, which can most times cut the aggression quite a bit....and/or move the worst victims somewhere else temporarily..until you can move the pair(s)....???

nice problem to have tho ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

EdKaz

The fish are in that "odd" 80 LONG, with the gravel and LOTSO plants (some real even ;) )  I have here. Plenty of room to hide for those that DONT want any involvement, but it seems MOST keep looking to get closer to either end and .......BAP! One or both of the two that hooked up at that particular end go at em like 6 million MPH torpedos......its getting UGLY!

My "plan" was to definitely leave the first couple spawns with the parents.....just not sure if leaving them in the pairing tank is in my OTHER fishes 'best interest" at this point.

Mugwump

Quote from: EdKaz on April 18, 2014, 11:13:55 AM
The fish are in that "odd" 80 LONG, with the gravel and LOTSO plants (some real even ;) )  I have here. Plenty of room to hide for those that DONT want any involvement, but it seems MOST keep looking to get closer to either end and .......BAP! One or both of the two that hooked up at that particular end go at em like 6 million MPH torpedos......its getting UGLY!

My "plan" was to definitely leave the first couple spawns with the parents.....just not sure if leaving them in the pairing tank is in my OTHER fishes 'best interest" at this point.

Yeah, I guess if it becomes a nasty battle, they'd be better served being separated...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

I had two pairs in a divided 55g that took turns spawning and once or twice they both spawn at the same time.  8)

They did take good care of the spawns as their protective instinct kicked in.  As soon as the fry became free swimming they became history.  ???
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.