• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 03:56:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 524
Total: 524

Three new spawns today

Started by LizStreithorst, December 27, 2013, 05:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

My number one pair spawned in a breeding tank today.  Another pair that nobody will object to except Mug spawned in the pairing tank.  The third pair is spawning now in the pairing tank.   Mug will be extremely displeased with me because they are both pearl scales.  I have another pair right on the verge that my friend Frank would not approve of because one of the pair has a black tail only.  I have to stand up for the fish.  It has very high strong fins and there isn't a better body shape in the 12 breeders I'm working with.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Congrats!!!!!!!

I don't despise the pearl scale, I'd just prefer not to have it lurking in the fish room... ;D

That partially expressing HB will do fine.....at least you know that it's h/h....right?...you might just get some stunners from that spawn??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on December 27, 2013, 06:32:19 PM
Congrats!!!!!!!

I don't despise the pearl scale, I'd just prefer not to have it lurking in the fish room... ;D

That partially expressing HB will do fine.....at least you know that it's h/h....right?...you might just get some stunners from that spawn??

Sorry I misquoted you, Mug.  What with the high percentage of culls I don't blame you for not wanting the gene lurking. 

Actually, the parents of the 12 that I'm working with are h/h and h/+.  The mom of these was h/h.  The dad was a non expressing pearl scale with both parents expressing hb.  All of the 12 that I selected to work with are expressing hbs except the one who is black tail.  I kept her because due to her body shape.  Discus people like round.

Mugwump

We actually had some 'pearls' in the fish room. I had a pair of Blue Blushing pearl scales....she'd fill a slate every time...spawns of 1000+.....not a cull in the batch..ever.....finally sold the pair to a guy downstate.....he called a couple weeks later and asked how to make her quit....LOL...their fry were over running our room, and now were flooding him with fry....every 6-8 days....LOL...she was a fry machine.. ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GeorgeG

How are those half black fry coming along ? Any photos for us to see ?

LizStreithorst

for you, George. Judge for yourself.

JR

I am not a Angel guy yet but they look like they are doing fine. Very nice Liz
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

GeorgeG

They are looking very nice Liz

LizStreithorst

I have a good bunch that are expressing.  About 1/3, I figure.  Since I can sell nothing right now I know I need to kill the ones that don't express.  I'll wait one more week.  It's hard culling fish that are otherwise good but aren't what I want.