• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 02:33:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 513
Total: 513

This is something else

Started by LizStreithorst, December 11, 2013, 05:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I mentioned in another thread that some Koi Angels laid in the community tank last night.  This morning my best male Discus was guarding their eggs and driving off the Angel parents.  I figured the eggs would be gone when I got home this evening.  Instead, I came home to find the Discus male's mate guarding the eggs with him.

I know for a fact that Discus will raise Angels.  Al, the owner of Simply documented it when it happened to him.  I'm going to move the breeding cone and the Discus pair to another tank with water of lower conductivity and see what happens.  The last time the Discus female spawned in a breeding tank, my beautiful male was very solicitous of her, and fanned her eggs but it never got it down and fertilized them, so of course they turned white.

My greatest hope is that raising a batch, even if they aren't Discus will get his hormones going and the next spawn will be with his mate.  None of this is the male's fault.  He's been through a lot of medication during the time I was having problems.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

That sounds very interesting.  Good luck with this and let us know what happens.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

The Discus pair should eat the eggs when I move them.  But if I don't move them they won't even hatch.  My water is too hard for eggs to hatch without RO.  I have a feeling about this Discus pair, though.  I think the Discus will accept them.  I will know soon.  I don't care that much about the Angels.  I have my Half Black pearl scale thing going strong.  I can't sell anything until June so I don't want to overwhelm my tanks with a second  strain at this point  I'm on a roll with the Half Blacks.

All I want for Christmas is to be my only really important Discus is for him to be able to get it down with his mate.  Last time she laid eggs he loved her up the entire time and fanned her eggs but he never got it down and fertilized.  I hope that raising of fry will be good for them and get them doing it themselves and making their own kids. 

Mugwump

It should be a very nice adventure....I like it. ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

One way or the other it will be fun to see how it turns out.  I'm waiting now for the temps of the tanks to get close before I move everyone.

JR

Good luck with this LIz. It sounds pretty neat.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

Barb

Hope it works Liz, let us know how it goes!
Barb

LizStreithorst

My hopes are not up.  I'll know more in the morning.

LizStreithorst

The eggs were gone this morning.  I expected it.  But I've left the Discus pair alone together in the breeding tank.  Maybe, just maybe, I'll get some action in a few weeks.

b125killer

Scott