• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 02:20:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,327
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 624
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 604
Total: 604

Fishroom Visit

Started by Ron Sower, March 28, 2013, 01:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

I went up to Aron's and Lori's yesterday. Had a wonderful visit. Great fishroom! They're into breeding a lot of different fish. One of the most interesting tanks was their 55g full of multi shellies. Those fish were all over the place in that tank. And there were several generations and multiple broods from the different generations! I have mine that they gave me in a 5g and they all hang at the bottom and protect their shells.

You know what, I think Aron's been sneaking around on us.  You'd think that they just have angels and shellies.  Well, they got discus, angels, swordtails, several species of corys, and who know how many angels..!!! I know I've missed some, there were so many species there...!

I have to say they have a really nice fishroom....er, fishhouse!  And they've got a really good system for water changes.

They also have the first Mini-daschhounds I've ever liked.  Sweet dogs.

Aron and Lori, thanks for the visit!!! It was fun time.

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Thanks for sharing your visit, Ron. I remember being in Aron and Lori's first fishroom. They had produced a nice area for it, and Aron had a knack for setting up systems. I knew then that they would always have an evolving fishroom, they have a passion for the hobby, hence.... 'Passionate4Angels'.....The Dachsies are pretty little dogs, aren't they.??...I think that Jan tried to swipe the little long haired one.??  he he  ;D..what great little personalities..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Sounds like you had a good time Ron. I always like to visit peoples fish rooms. I get so many ideals from others. It's so hard to stay with just one type of fish when there are so many cool fish out there. If I didn't think My wife would kill me twice I would fill my house with tanks. I also love my dachsie. He's one of the best dogs I have ever had. He is getting a little cranky as he gets older but I still love him.
Scott

P4Angels2

Ron, you forgot to mention that Aron made you coffee!!!

Jon, oh yes we have our little mini doxie dogs....however...we are going to be the proud "grand Puppy parents" in the next week or so....yes the little girl Daisy that you, Jan and Deb all tried to walk off with in Iowa is going to be having puppies!!! so not only do we have our fish varieties we will have puppies too....The little male buddy is such a little "demon" at times but is finally discovering just how nice it is to be snuggled with....and of course Momma is happy just being snuggled all the time....And to think that a few months ago she also had severe trouble with her back...Kinda like mine only she couldn't walk at all but thankfully medications helped her and now she still hasweakness in her legs and can't jump but her personality has never once faded.....always there to great you at the door...and ready to give you snuggle time.... she is doing awesome with being pregnant...can't wait to see if we get a puppy that looks just like her with the 1 blue eye......

It has always amazed me at how well Aron can come up with something and presto it works like a dream!!!

The multi shellies that we have...were definitely not my first choice and I couldn't figure out why Aron wanted them....but now....if I could have a tank at work they would be the one's to have...busy little workers...I was mean and flattened out the substrate and (found shells they had actually buried)  re-landscaped on them..and of course soon as my hand was out of the tank they began rearranging it again.....kind of fun to see what they come up with next.....and the babies...at times are so small that if you are not close to the tank you won't see them they are so tiny but oh so cute!!

The discus that we have most were given to us and we got lucky that 2 were already paired off and we were able to save 11 of their babies and they have now been moved from a 10 to a 30 and now finally a 55 gal tank in which to grow...really looking forward to seeing their colors as mom is a blue snakeskin and daddy is a wild caught...both gorgeous fish....

Funny to think that 5 years ago I would never have thought that I would love having a fish tank let alone 45 and of course Aron has a little MTS going on and has 4 10 gal tanks in the car for more babies of the oddball fish that he has been dabbling in...Just wish I could figure out how to get the Cory cats to lay eggs...seems they don't mind having 2 inches of water in the tank and are more active but then of course the "rain" hits and raises the water levels and still no eggs to speak of.... :'(

So to Jon, Jan, Deb and Peter (RIP) thank you so much for taking time with us to show us how fun fish can truly be......your knowledge and visits are things we still talk about..(Ox Yoke Inn in Amana)  ;) ;D

And to Aron...Thank you so much for introducing me to this hobby I have learned a lot and love the time we spend working in the fish room together!!! ;)

Ron Sower

Lori, it's about time you or Aron got on here and filled in the gaps I left open for you!!!!  There was just not enough time for me to write everything!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

P4Angels

Quote from: Mugwump on March 28, 2013, 05:06:32 AM
Thanks for sharing your visit, Ron. I remember being in Aron and Lori's first fishroom. They had produced a nice area for it, and Aron had a knack for setting up systems. I knew then that they would always have an evolving fishroom, they have a passion for the hobby, hence.... 'Passionate4Angels'.....The Dachsies are pretty little dogs, aren't they.??...I think that Jan tried to swipe the little long haired one.??  he he  ;D ..what great little personalities..

When it not fun any more then its a job....
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Mugwump

Quote from: P4Angels on March 29, 2013, 06:10:47 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on March 28, 2013, 05:06:32 AM
Thanks for sharing your visit, Ron. I remember being in Aron and Lori's first fishroom. They had produced a nice area for it, and Aron had a knack for setting up systems. I knew then that they would always have an evolving fishroom, they have a passion for the hobby, hence.... 'Passionate4Angels'.....The Dachsies are pretty little dogs, aren't they.??...I think that Jan tried to swipe the little long haired one.??  he he  ;D ..what great little personalities..

When it not fun any more then its a job....

fishkeeping a job???...naw.....a labor of love.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

P4Angels2

A labor of love yes..but oh so hard to make the choices for those that are needing to be culled..... :'( :'( :'(

Mugwump

Quote from: P4Angels2 on March 29, 2013, 06:15:10 PM
A labor of love yes..but oh so hard to make the choices for those that are needing to be culled..... :'( :'( :'(

Yep, but it must be done....
Jon

P4Angels2

I know,,,,,I have 1 that I have been hoping for the last week to see some improvement...she isn't getting worse and will eat worms but only after they have gone to the bottom of the tank

BallAquatics

I hate to cull too.  I've got a couple of tanks where misfits end up.....  kinda like the island of misfit toys!

Dennis

P4Angels2

just wish there was a place with the misfits

ilroost

I have always kept a misfit tank. Fish that are off color, one eye missing ect. It might be my fav. tank

Mugwump

I have a little Koi that's not quite quarter sized yet, at about 6 mos old.... ;D...he's in the smaller species tank and loves it.....I wonder if he'd pair up if I moved a std size female in with him.???
Jon

BillT

I put my culls into a 20G tank with a couple polypteri (polypteruses?, AKA bichers) and a freshwater puffer.
This way some good omes out of the whole process by completing the circle of life (or part of the carbon and nitrogen cycles etc.).