• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 05:07:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 655
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 654
Total: 655

Red Tail cat

Started by ilroost, February 27, 2013, 05:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilroost

I have a chance to get a red tail cat for free. God i want him so bad, i love the monster fish.Trying like crazy to fit him in somewhere

Mugwump

Ah, there's always room for one more tank.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

shatanka

OH, I love them too! Very cool! BUT..and this is a BIGGGGGGG BUT...they get HUGE! I mean HUUUUGEEE! I saw one in a local LFS store here that someone traded in that was ...I swear...5 ' long! They barely fit it in the hugest tank in the store. It barely had room in there. I think they would be cool to have for awhile, but then, what do you do with them? lol  Talk about MONSTER FISH! yeah...that would def. fit the ticket!

ilroost

I am hopeing to get him in the tank with the jag. not sure this will work as the jag won't let me put anything in there with it

shatanka

I don't know if this will work, but sometimes taking the aggressive fish out of their environment
(that they claim now) and putting the other fish in, then later returning the aggressor, will somewhat confuse that aggressor. It isn't "his" territory any more.  And give the catfish places to go to hide too that the jag can't get to. I have a huge rock in one of my tanks for that purpose, and for decor. It does serve as a hideout for those that need an escape though. I don't know..might work. If not..TIME TO GET ANOTHER TANK!!! LOL

BillT

When I first read the title i thought it was about a cat (non-fish).

A friend of mine has a Red Tail cat in a 300 G tanks. The fish is about 3' long. Looks crowded to me.
It would look more in its place in his 800 G but that has other fish. I would eat most of them.

b125killer

How big is it? I like the looks of them but they get way to big for me. plus I think it might fall under one of my pet rules. I won't own I pet that will eat better than me.
Scott

shatanka

Quote from: b125killer on February 28, 2013, 06:21:22 AM
How big is it? I like the looks of them but they get way to big for me. plus I think it might fall under one of my pet rules. I won't own I pet that will eat better than me.

I wonder what and how much they eat when they are at their capacity? Might have to feed them like you would a snake or something huh...like a whole rabbit or in this case...bass sized fish? Gosh, I'd hate to stick my hand in that tank to clean it. They might take a finger or two, do ya think?

b125killer

I use to work with a guy that feed his snake baby pigs. I think red tail cats will eat anything they can fit fit in it's mouth. I just have a hard time knowing that any pet of mine would eat better than me.
Scott

shatanka

Ohhh..poor piggys. I used to have a potbelly pig. That would make me sad to feed baby piggys to a snake. I'd have to make mine a vegetarian! lol  Soy burgers for lunch!

b125killer

they already passed when he got them. He had a connection with a pig farm. He didn't feed live foods said that it was too much risk of the pray hurting his snakes. 
Scott

ilroost

passed on him for now.Just to many other fish and projects going on. But i have always wanted one and look to getting one in the future

BillT

QuoteI wonder what and how much they eat when they are at their capacity? Might have to feed them like you would a snake or something huh...like a whole rabbit or in this case...bass sized fish? Gosh, I'd hate to stick my hand in that tank to clean it. They might take a finger or two, do ya think?

I have seen my friend's 3 footer suck in several 3" goldfish like they were nothing.

pashley

i raised one and when he got big i was doing 50% water changes every other day, i sold him at 32 inches and last i heard he ended up in the Zoo aquarium. he was the biggest one they had. i raised him on my homemade fish food. he was lots of fun, but lots of work also. i extracted a 12 in. pleco and a full grown oscar from his mouth. not fun. the only thing he did not try to eat was my red tailed shark. they had a kind of symbiotic relationship. he would clean the catfish, it was interesting to watch. i know he out grew a 1000 gal indoor pond that was made for him, and then he was given to the Zoo. he was between 2-3 yrs old when this happened, and close to 6 ft.

Mugwump

Too big for me...LOL.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson