• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 07:36:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,348
  • Total Topics: 18,542
  • Online today: 872
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 762
Total: 762

An electrical question

Started by LizStreithorst, February 18, 2017, 10:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I can do this.  The only difference between screwing up basic electrical work and basic pluming work  is that electrical will kill you and plumbing will only leave you with a flood.  I have to replace a light fixture in the fish room.  It's not on any of the fish room circuits because it used to be an outside light before I had the fish room built on.  How do I know how to find which breaker to flip?  There's a tester of some kind isn't there? I know that this will be easy job to do and that when I do it I will be terribly pleased with myself ::)  I just don't want to kill myself in the process of having a good time.  It would be such to great a waste of a good time,
Always move forward. Never look back.

wallace

Are you replacing it because it doesn't work?
Dan

LizStreithorst

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

Surest way is to turn off all the breakers and rewire it then turn them all back on.  About the same as a short power loss.  Some people think the world stops if we lose electric.....not so.  Is it in a place where you can work in daylight?  If not prepare a flashlight or two ahead of time.
Dale

I'm not afraid of work.  I can lay down right next to it and go to sleep.

LizStreithorst

I'm a sissy girl when it comes to electricity.  I know for a fact that this light in not connected to any of the fish room breakers.  I'll just turn off everything except the fish room. 

BallAquatics

When you get it fixed, turn the breakers back on one at a time and you'll find out which one controls this light fixture.   |^|

Dennis

LizStreithorst

excellent idea.  My breakers are labeled.  I'm sure this must be on the laundry room breaker because it's on what used to be the outside light when I walked outside from the laundry room.  If I weren't such a sissy girl I'd just turn off that breaker and go for it.  My neighbor who ran the power plant down the road before he retired is so confident that he works on everything live.  Scares the shit out of me.

waterboy

You did replace the bulb and try it right?  Touch a screwdriver across the terminals sort of fast.  If you get a big pop and spark the circuit is still live, if not you are good to go.  I don't think anyone has ever died from home electricity, you might get a good jolt but I don't think it can kill you.
Dale

LizStreithorst

Yes, I tried two different bulbs in it just to be sure. 

Thanks for trying to reassure me about house electricity not being fatal.  Reassurance is futile when addressed to an irrational fear.

wallace

Wear shoes. If it still doesn't work after the fix its probably the switch.
Dan

Mugwump

Quote from: wallace on February 19, 2017, 01:57:56 PM

..definitely wear shoes.....yup..yup..yup.... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

waterboy

Quote from: Mugwump on February 19, 2017, 02:18:13 PM

And don't stand in water or on a damp floor.
Dale

waterboy

Hey if it has a switch, just turn off the switch and you are good to go.
Dale

Mugwump

Quote from: waterboy on February 19, 2017, 02:20:31 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on February 19, 2017, 02:18:13 PM

And don't stand in water or on a damp floor.

...and eat your veggies too...
Jon