• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 06:24:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 652
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 605
Total: 605

Get ready for a rant

Started by LizStreithorst, May 13, 2016, 07:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

It pisses me off no end when a husband or wife bitches about the other's hobby.  It happens all the time.  What is up with that?  My husband was proud of what I did with my goats.  It didn't matter to him in the least that I worked like a slave and threw all my money at them.  It didn't bother me that he invested money in his hobby and never made a cent.  It just happened again on Simply.  Here's his post:

I just graduated college and am about to start a temporary summer job. This job will have me about 3 1/2 hours away from home for about 4 days a week and will hopefully keep the rent paid until I am able to find a more permanent position. I'm trying to get into law enforcement, or more specifically fish & wildlife law enforcement, so when and if that happens I'll also have to deal with being away at the academy also, but one thing at a time. I have 4 aquariums running right now, 3 of which I'm not too worried about, they have pretty hardy fish in them and I don't have a ton of money wrapped up in them. The one I'm worried about is my 75g with my discus in it. My wife and kids will still be home so if some emergency happens there will be someone there, however, they have never done any of the maintenance or feeding and my wife really doesn't like doing anything with the tanks.
Should the fish be fine if while I'm gone I just have my wife give them a little flake food each day and I'll do their regular feedings and water changes of the weekends? At one point I mentioned I was thinking of finding the discus a new home and get out of discus keeping until I got through the academy and we got moved and my wife just about flipped out that I would get rid of fish I had spent so much money on.
So the question is if you had a job that would have you away from home for half the week and you had minimal aquarium help at home what you do?

I replied,  "If your wife is unwilling to help you with their maintenance it is unfair for her to complain about you re-homing them. These were starter fish for you. 5 to 5 /2" is small for 2 year old fish unless you are measuring standard length. You've learned a lot since you first got them. I suggest that you sell them for what you can get so you don't have to worry about them and when you are settled and doing better buy new Discus again. "

It was hard for me to soften my words.  This is a good guy who is trying to take care of his family as best he can until the makes enough that they're not living from hand to mouth. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 13, 2016, 07:25:36 PM
It pisses me off no end when a husband or wife bitches about the other's hobby.  It happens all the time.  What is up with that?  My husband was proud of what I did with my goats.  It didn't matter to him in the least that I worked like a slave and threw all my money at them.  It didn't bother me that he invested money in his hobby and never made a cent.  It just happened again on Simply.  Here's his post:

I just graduated college and am about to start a temporary summer job. This job will have me about 3 1/2 hours away from home for about 4 days a week and will hopefully keep the rent paid until I am able to find a more permanent position. I'm trying to get into law enforcement, or more specifically fish & wildlife law enforcement, so when and if that happens I'll also have to deal with being away at the academy also, but one thing at a time. I have 4 aquariums running right now, 3 of which I'm not too worried about, they have pretty hardy fish in them and I don't have a ton of money wrapped up in them. The one I'm worried about is my 75g with my discus in it. My wife and kids will still be home so if some emergency happens there will be someone there, however, they have never done any of the maintenance or feeding and my wife really doesn't like doing anything with the tanks.
Should the fish be fine if while I'm gone I just have my wife give them a little flake food each day and I'll do their regular feedings and water changes of the weekends? At one point I mentioned I was thinking of finding the discus a new home and get out of discus keeping until I got through the academy and we got moved and my wife just about flipped out that I would get rid of fish I had spent so much money on.
So the question is if you had a job that would have you away from home for half the week and you had minimal aquarium help at home what you do?

I replied,  "If your wife is unwilling to help you with their maintenance it is unfair for her to complain about you re-homing them. These were starter fish for you. 5 to 5 /2" is small for 2 year old fish unless you are measuring standard length. You've learned a lot since you first got them. I suggest that you sell them for what you can get so you don't have to worry about them and when you are settled and doing better buy new Discus again. "

It was hard for me to soften my words.  This is a good guy who is trying to take care of his family as best he can until the makes enough that they're not living from hand to mouth.

I think you gave him great advice. Hopefully he follows it. 2c2
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

The other folks advised him to keep the fish.  Poor guy.  I feel sorry for him.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 13, 2016, 08:00:02 PM
The other folks advised him to keep the fish.  Poor guy.  I feel sorry for him.

Yes and have the fish suffer from half ass care. huh
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.