• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 04:06:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 646
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 632
Total: 632

Charlotte

Started by LizStreithorst, May 11, 2016, 03:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

The dang truck must think that I'm made of money.  I stopped by Chip's because he never called me about the gauges I want.  He said that the gauges themselves would cost $300.  The panel they go into is $75.  We didn't even talk about labor.  The kid at the oil change place said that they were cheap...that he's just installed some in his vehicle.  How does a kid working at an oil change place consider $375. for parts cheap?

Chip is kind of a strange guy.  I wondered if he was trying to fire me in a gentle way.  I moseyed across the street and talked to BJ.  He doesn't mind sharing customers with Chip.  They are both good and both have more business than they need.  BJ is more professional.  I told him what Chip said and that I wasn't sure if it was true or if Chip wanted to be rid of me.  He kinda acted like Chip was telling the truth but told me to come back tomorrow, that he would check out my options.  I told him that the gauges had to look clean.  They had to look like Charlotte was born with them, and they have to be in a place where I can see them easily.

I need good gauges.  I just spent a bundle on a new heart and although the heart is new, the rest of Charlotte has over 90,000 miles on her.  What if a thermostat sticks on and she overheats and I don't know?  What if something in the oil circulation system gets a hole in it or comes apart and I don't know?  If the alternator were to fail, I could deal with it but I'd prefer to have a volt meter. 

I will do what I have to do even if I have to put off buying the new oven and spending over $200. on gate valves for the fish room.

Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

...without telling the car wash kid what Chip said....ask him where he got his gauges and maybe what he paid for them.....it'd be an interesting comparison.... huh
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Good idea, Mug.  I'm not sure which one he was.  I swear, they all looked the same to me, but he knew Charlotte by name.  I'll stop by and talk to them tomorrow.  I hope he's still there.  BTW, he was not a car wash kid.  I bathe Charlotte myself.  He was an oil change kid which is like 1/2 a step up from a washer.

BallAquatics

LizStreithorst

I saw those when I did a search, Dennis.  I don't know where they are mounted.  I need them mounted where I  can see them.  Charlotte's previous owner put in a water temp gauge after he ,her hurt her by running her hot.  Not only does the needle move off the bottom, it's in a place where it's not easy to see. 

The oil change kid said that there were some that mounted on the support to the left of the windshield where I could see them by glancing to the left, that they looked clean and that they were cheap.

I need to do something.  If I have to spend vast sums I will.  I need to talk to the oil change kid.  I don't think that it will take a mechanical genius to install them.   

Rjb3

Back in the hotrod days those guage clusters were mounted at the bottom of the dash by the transmission hump. A quick glance and you could see what was up. The thing with guages is they need to be looked at. Lights on the dash get your attention.