• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 07, 2024, 08:14:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,334
  • Total Topics: 18,537
  • Online today: 450
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 336
Total: 337

Need advice on rebuilding tanks

Started by LizStreithorst, August 18, 2013, 11:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I have the cracked end and silicone removed from these two 100 gallon tanks.  As you can see, I broke the top trim off one of them.  The only other time I did this job which was years ago, I remember using clamps to make sure that everything was held in position.  I have lost possession of my clamps.  I'm wondering if they are really necessary.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 18, 2013, 11:54:00 AM
I'm wondering if they are really necessary.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't us clamps.  You just need to hold the glass in the correct position until the silicone cures.  I'd use painter's tape.  Maybe 3 or 4 pieces on each side....  it shouldn't take too much.

Dennis

BallAquatics

LizStreithorst

Thanks very much, Mr. Spock.  I should have known that I could count on you.  Painter's tape it is.  That guy in the video makes building a tank from scratch look easy peasy.  Have you done it before?  I'd be scared to death. 

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 18, 2013, 12:49:15 PM
Have you done it before?  I'd be scared to death.

Sadly, I have not.  I would like to build some 24x24x12 cubes, but the price of glass around here always puts me off.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Finally, Boozer brought me the glass.  I was ready for it two weeks ago, but better late than never...The 3/8" end pieces cost under $60. for the two.  It's spare change compared to what two perfect 100's would have cost me.   I will silicone them tomorrow.  They will have been tested and be ready to put into service by next weekend.  When I'm done I will have 5 100's, 6 60 wides, plus 2 40's and a 29 for breeding pairs.  I also have some 20's and 10's that will fit, but I have little use right now for small tanks.  I also have lots of room to expand, but I don't want to.  For now what I will have is good. 

I like lots of grow out space.  I will have it.  Life is rosy.

Mugwump

Super.....big tanks are nice tanks.......grow out specials  ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I did one tank, but I don't know about the painter's tape method on tanks this large.  Even though  these tanks have a big glass center brace the top edges don't hold tight enough.  They want to lean out ever so slightly.  I put a strip of painter's tape across the top but it's not strong enough to hold everything tight.  I keep having to push it together.  I have it siliconed but I don't trust this repair.  I can picture in my mind this tank bursting it's end out.  I need clamps.  I bet my neighbor has clamps that I can borrow.  If not, I will buy some.

I wanted to have this job done weeks ago and I'm still struggling with it.  Pisses me off.

Mugwump

Turn it on it's side and weight the pane down with a brick/rock wrapped in an old towel...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Of Course.  I guess I'm not as smart or resourceful as I used to be.  That should work.  Thanks Mug.

LizStreithorst

Such an easy job once I got all my ducks in a row.  I thought about your suggestion, Mug, but my siliconing is sloppy enough as it is without me having to do it laying flat on my back on the floor.  I borrowed an 18 1/2 inch clamp from my neighbor to snug everything up and replaced the glass on one tank in minutes.  I will leave the clamp in place over night and do the other tank first thing in the morning.

Understand now why I hate starting a project?  Projects always take twice as long as I expect.  In this case it was 4 times as long...2 weeks waiting for the glass and one week wasted because I didn't have what I needed.  All this time I've had these big 100 gallon tanks sitting in the middle of my fish room floor.  Even when everything is ready to put into place I will have to wait until Boozer can give me a bit of time to help me move a wood stand from the laundry room to the fish room, put the 75 on it and put the two 100's in place.  Nothing good is fast and easy, but it all works out in time if you don't throw up your hands in despair.

Mugwump

Progress is the thing  ;D..and you're doing nicely  ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

I get annoyed with my incompetence.  Once the job is done and everything is perfect I will be satisfied in it and will take a bit of pride in it.  I'll even post pics,

BillT

Being critical of your own incompetence is a big part of improvement.
Sounds like things will turn out great.

BallAquatics

I think you're being too hard on yourself Liz.  Glass doesn't really warp or bend, so if there's more space at the top than at the bottom, they must not have gotten the glass square when they first assembled the tanks.  It's not your incompetence, but rather trying to overcome shoddy workmanship at the factory.

Dennis