• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 03:56:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,327
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 647
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 617
Total: 617

The horse

Started by LizStreithorst, January 03, 2016, 02:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I just got a call from a neighbor who said that the horse went across the main street and almost hot hit by a car.  I had no choice.  I had to call my vet.  The dear man said he's be out in ah hour with his Dart gun.  We will evaluate the situation and decide how best to proceed.  Wish us luck.  This will be stressful for both of us.  If he doesn't get her with the first dart and if she doesn't get drunk enough for me to get a halter on her, all is lost.
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Wow Liz, I wish you all the luck in the world for a successful rescue.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

..good luck Liz.....git 'er done and bring her home...... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Good luck Liz.   |^|

Dennis

LizStreithorst

We got her.  It took 2 1/2 hrs and a lot of planning and horse psychology and $150. worth of tranquilizer, but she is back in her pasture with a halter on her.   I love my vet.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 03, 2016, 05:29:41 PM
We got her.  It took 2 1/2 hrs and a lot of planning and horse psychology and $150. worth of tranquilizer, but she is back in her pasture with a halter on her.   I love my vet.

I'm glad it all worked out good... ;D

Get him a 12 pack....he's a keeper for sure....he's your Dr. Pol..... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

He's a tea tottler ::)  He did this for me for $50. an hour plus the cost of the drugs  so I gave him an extra $100. and a big hug and a kiss on the cheek.  He knows I love him in the friendship way and I know that he wouldn't have done this for me if he didn't love me back the same way.  He is indeed a keeper.

wsantia1

This is great news Liz. I'm glad that everything worked out for you. |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

I need to tell y'all this.  Even though getting her back in the pasture was success and I was ready to pay right then, he wanted to try walking her back into a stall in the barn where I could lock her in.  I told him that once she had a halter on her she was tame so he wanted to try.  We eased her into the stall which is long and narrow with a low ceiling because of the hay loft.  We walked on either side of her and gently eased her in.  There is no forcing this horse.  We just had to make her decide it was the best place to be.  When we got her in and locked the gate, Lowell was able to throw a rope around around her neck.  The funny thing about the horse (her name is Patience) is that once she knows that she is caught she gets tame.  With the rope around her neck she new she was caught and I was able to walk it the stall and gently put the halter on her.  Then I walked her up to Lowell who was able to check the halter and actually pet her.

I asked him if he had ever seen a horse like this before and said no, and that I own her because I'm as nutty as she is.  I am the only one who understands her and I am the only one she trusts.  She loves her freedom just as I love mine.  She has a mind of her own.  She he has this thing about being caught which makes her very deer-like...the Adrenalin gets going, the heart starts beating hard and fast, and she goes crazy and runs, and could be dangerous not because she's mean, it because she's freaked.  (I'm not that bad but I understand it).

Forgive me for this long rambling...This was very stressful for me and it worked out better than I'd imagined.  I kept my Adrenalin levels low while we were working with her.  Now that's it over the I seemed to have turned all the "hyper" loose that I'd kept pent up  If Lowell and I hadn't been able to get her in, I would have had to call someone out to shoot her and kill her.  My neighbors are nice and could deal with a free range wild horse, but if she were to get in the road and someone hit her and got killed how would I be able to forgive myself?  I will forever be in my kind vet's debt.

Ah...I'm starting to fee more relaxed, finally.  I'll be back to normal tomorrow.

Mugwump

Jon

LizStreithorst

I saw that when I was looking for the perfect halter.  I am still looking...My horse is smarter than that horse.  My horse get out of a fully adjustable halter that is snug while she's out in the pasture, not tied.  I'm sure she does it the same way but it takes my horse more time and she uses a tree to get the halter over her ears.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on January 04, 2016, 05:26:14 PM
I saw that when I was looking for the perfect halter.  I am still looking...My horse is smarter than that horse.  My horse get out of a fully adjustable halter that is snug while she's out in the pasture, not tied.  I'm sure she does it the same way but it takes my horse more time and she uses a tree to get the halter over her ears.

LOL....a tree hugger. huh..?
Jon

LizStreithorst

Shoot, even though she trusts me she's still a free spirit.  She'll go for a year without getting her halter off. but she has done it a few times now.  She knows the trick.

The halter I have on her now is too tight across the nose band even though it's adjusted to the last buckle hole.  She dosen't have a large round jaw as most horses, so to make the halter snug I in the throat latch area I have to make it very tight on the side of her head and over the ears.

You try looking for custom made halters.  They all offer stuff with pretty stitching and name plates.  None of them offers halters made to my specs.  I guess I need to find a local leather worker.  Perhaps my farrier knows somebody.

Barb

It is good to hear it all ended well Liz.  Hope it doesn't happen again.  Annie got out tonight, bitter cold, very windy, and I was scared, but I did get her back in finally.  These pets......
Barb