• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 08:36:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 663
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 627
Total: 627

Bruno

Started by LizStreithorst, May 31, 2017, 03:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Bruno is getting a shock collar.  He chases me when I leave in Charlotte.  When I come home he comes bounding up when I'm 1/3 down the driveway.  He's so happy that he circles Charlotte.  I never know where he is.  I have to creep along and stop often before I get to the carport.  I need to stop this behavior before I flatten him.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 31, 2017, 03:17:02 PM
Bruno is getting a shock collar.  He chases me when I leave in Charlotte.  When I come home he comes bounding up when I'm 1/3 down the driveway.  He's so happy that he circles Charlotte.  I never know where he is.  I have to creep along and stop often before I get to the carport.  I need to stop this behavior before I flatten him.

....or open the door and let him ride to the carport with you....??....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I should have been taking him to work with me every day but he's the happiest dog in the world here at home and he's terrified to ride.  He runs when he sees an open car door.  Now that Cha Cha's emotional problems are pretty much taken care of I'll start concentrating on him.  First off he needs to know how not to get killed my a car.  Next I have to teach him how to enjoy going for a ride.  That will be more difficult but I have a plan.  I'll take him to McDonald's and buy him a piece of cheap cooked meat.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 31, 2017, 04:26:24 PM
I should have been taking him to work with me every day but he's the happiest dog in the world here at home and he's terrified to ride.  He runs when he sees an open car door.  Now that Cha Cha's emotional problems are pretty much taken care of I'll start concentrating on him.  First off he needs to know how not to get killed my a car.  Next I have to teach him how to enjoy going for a ride.  That will be more difficult but I have a plan.  I'll take him to McDonald's and buy him a piece of cheap cooked meat.

..car trauma...?    that stinks....yup...Mickie 'D's for a burger...or ice cream @ Dairy Queen/Sonic might work too...?....all of our dogs have loved soft serve  |^|...plus you can get a cone, or sundae, too.. |eat| |eat| |eat| |eat| |eat| |eat|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Sonic....yummmm...cherry limeades...!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on May 31, 2017, 04:50:05 PM

..we're getting one in town this year.... |eat| |eat| |eat| |eat| |eat|
Jon

Ron Sower

Quote from: Mugwump on May 31, 2017, 05:25:10 PM
Quote from: Ron Sower on May 31, 2017, 04:50:05 PM

..we're getting one in town this year.... |eat| |eat| |eat| |eat| |eat|
Then you gotta try them!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Jon

wallace

One of us needs to patent a 5-minute releasing leash and get rich.

I have had dogs that do that when I come home, get so close to the car that I can't see if I'm running over him. Or chase me down the road when I try to leave.
Dan

LizStreithorst

I guess I'm going about this the wrong way.  Bruno can be such a sissy boy when he thinks that something bad might happen.  He has a great fear of the unknown.   A shock collar is not the answer, at least not at first.  When I put the shock collar on him for the first time he peed himself just because I put it on him.  It was a strange thing.  He was terrified.  I let him wear it for a few hours. praising him the whole time, then took it off.  I tried to put it on him again today and he ran away in fear.  And this was just from putting the collar on  ::) 

Right now, when he thinks I want something of him that he doesn't know about  he runs and hides under the bed.  What I need to do is to haul him out from under the bed and take him to work every morning.  I should have been doing this from the get-go.  I've tried it, but he is so afraid and it's such a pain to haul him out, and he's so totally in heaven here at home where he feels safe that I gave up trying easily.  He should come to enjoy it because I can't keep Cha Cha from coming with me and Cha Cha is his best buddy. 

I've taught 3 fearful dogs trust.  Every one took a slightly different approach.  One was a fear biter hand his daughter would have been a fear biter, too.  The third was a dog that lost her mind when my husband died.  Getting her trust was the biggest challenge.  I kept her on a 20' lead at all times so that I always had control and I had to give her Prozac for around 4 months.  Bruno shouldn't be hard.  Putting in the time with him will be well worth it.  He's a fine little dude.

Mugwump

...All animals have their little quirks......some are wayyyyy easier to accept than change.....Bruno sounds like he's still learning the ropes of his new abode.....he loves the place, but the occasional surprises of having to learn things new/different can cross him up a touch..........I feel he'll be just fine after a bit more time.... |^|
Jon