• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 07, 2024, 09:26:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,334
  • Total Topics: 18,537
  • Online today: 450
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 339
Total: 339

Salt water tanks.....

Started by Mugwump, June 20, 2013, 05:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Does anyone here have a 'salt' tank?????....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JR

I will be setting my Reef and FOWLR tanks back up next month
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

Mugwump

Wonderful.......you might be the only one here???....I've been tempted to do a FOWLR for the G'kids...plus I enjoy the salt water fish colors... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JR

If it is the first SW tank. IMHO a FOWLR  tank is the only way to go. And with SW the bigger the tank is always better.

Mugwump

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind
Jon

P4Angels

Lori and I have had one running for over a year, just a small 13 gallon nano.   We had a 55 gallon one setup then took it down.  LIke our fresh water better :D
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Mugwump

Quote from: P4Angels on June 21, 2013, 12:40:39 AM
Lori and I have had one running for over a year, just a small 13 gallon nano.   We had a 55 gallon one setup then took it down.  LIke our fresh water better :D

Me too, really. I saw a nano tank built by a guy in the QC's club. a while back....very well done.
It would be a side project anyway.... ;D
Jon

b125killer

I keep going back and forth on if I want a saltwater tank. I have always wanted to set one up. I just don't know that much about them other than there a expensive lesson in chemistry. I have seen some pulsing xenia that I liked alot. I was thinking of changing a 40 breeder tank to saltwater.
Scott

BallAquatics

Quote from: b125killer on June 21, 2013, 07:38:51 AM
I keep going back and forth on if I want a saltwater tank.

I do that too.  Then I ask myself, "What you gonna breed?", and scrap the whole idea.....  LOL

Dennis

P4Angels2

We have a pair of clowns that regularly have eggs get them to the point of seeing eyes and then magically they all disappear!!

JR

My clowns did the same thing.

b125killer

If I was going to change a tank to salt water what would it take? Something like a fowler tank. With a few corals like the pulsing xenia. What would it take to keep it alive? Would I have to get the expensive lighting? I would also have to get some clown fish that play in the coral. It's the only way my wife would let me do it. I do know that not all clown fish will do that. Something with them being captive breed and not needing to do it.
Scott

JR

fISH Only With Live Rock. (FOWLR)  FOWLR tanks can get by with fluorescent full spectrum lights. They do better with fluorescent and actinic light (Blue Light). It depends how wellyou won't the Coralline algae to grow. Some Coralline algae grows better with the blue light.
Reef Tanks are primanily geared towards Invertebrates. Corals and Anemones. Thy say if you like to spend a lot of money and check your water parameters every day. Set up a reef tank. A few years back I was reading the cost of setting up a 29 gal Fresh water tank was 250.00 a FOWLR 658.00 and a Reef Tank was 1262.00. That was with all of the best equipment. I have 1300 In my reef lighting system. It takes a lot to keep them corals happy.

Jdmcfast

Have always wanted to have a SW tank and was ready to set one up until I got the opportunity to take care of a buddies reef tank when he was on vacation a couple times! It didn't take me long to realize I have my hands full enough with my freshwater.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Josh

b125killer

I think for the time and money I would rather get some nice discus. That way I could keep some cool fish without the cost of saltwater. I already have a full plate with breeding the angels. And I could see it getting out of control. I would start with a 40 gallon breeder and it would end up a 200 gallon reef tank. that's how it started with the angels I started with a 29 gallon now I'm breeding them and have a fish room.
Scott