• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 18, 2024, 06:42:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,357
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 59
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 45
Total: 45

Warming Up Thursday

Started by wsantia1, April 21, 2022, 06:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

Good morning everyone. Hopefully Winter is really gone. We will be warming up to the mid 60s today and will see temps get into the 70s and 80s over the weekend.

I've been up for a while and already been on my walk around the park so I am ahead of the my usual schedule. I hope to get started on my water changes soon and once I finish I can start on the outside of the house.

Wishing you all will have a great day.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Good morning Willie and the rest of the club later.

It's warming up here too.  It will be 80 today. 

Ron, you will like this...I caught my remaining rooster early this morning while he was still half asleep on his roost.  I wanted to worm him.  Since my chicken are free range I can't put wormer in their water like people do who confine their chickens.  I've always mixed Panacur in their afternoon treat but I wanted to make sure that the rooster got a whole dose so after I caught him I squirted the panacur down his gullet.

Here's something that nobody here knows and most chicken people don't even know.  Chickens have a hole in the pack of their tongue that leads to their trachea.  They breath through it.  Because of that you need to make sure to not get any liquid in that hole.  What I did was tube worm him.  I cut a small section of airline tubing and stuck it on a 3 cc syringe.  Then I pulled up the correct dose of wormer, opened his mouth where I saw the hole.  The rooster made the job easy for me.  He moved his tongue to one side of his mouth, I slid the tube down the other side and slowly dosed the wormer. 

By the way, this rooster's name is Walrus.  The first one I named Meat Man because he was the meaty type, the second one was Egg man because he was the production type so going by the Beatle's song this guy is the Walrus by default.

I've got to run to the vet as soon as I throw on some clothes.  I just realized that they gave me 2 bottles of Enelopril and no Lasix.  That's why my poor little Tinkster has been coughing so much.

When I get back I have a few inside things to do and then I want to get to pushing the mower.

Y'all have a lovely day.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you are up to when I check in later.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Hi all...

I did like that, Liz....I don't remember my brother ever mentioning worming his flock...he did pen them though...

We're at 68 right now...not sure what its going to today...my guess is "warm"... :D

I have bookkeeping stuf to do today, so I think I'll take A walk and then come back and do it... Not the kind of work I like..

I too shall chk back later to see how everyone's getting along...make yourself a nice day!... 8)
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: wsantia1 on April 21, 2022, 06:41:32 AM
Good morning everyone. Hopefully Winter is really gone. We will be warming up to the mid 60s today and will see temps get into the 70s and 80s over the weekend.

I've been up for a while and already been on my walk around the park so I am ahead of the my usual schedule. I hope to get started on my water changes soon and once I finish I can start on the outside of the house.

Wishing you all will have a great day.

I got all my water changes done except for the small tanks which I usually do every night after they have their last meal of the day.

I am a little upset with my female Albino King Cobra guppies. Even though the males passed away a few weeks ago I noticed the females were pregnant again. Yesterday one female was very slim and I noticed one little fry swimming around the bottom. I was looking for more but didn't see any. Today the second female is no longer pregnant so I believe that she gave birth also but I can't find any fry.

My only hope is that the babies are all hiding in Barb's Java Moss. huh If not the next time I see them pregnant the are going into a nursery container. I didn't want to resort to that because it stresses the females out but I what choice do I have. The tank is full of moss. wfwf

Short story: About 60 years ago I visited an uncle's house and he had the first fish tank I ever saw. It was packed with the "old style guppies" (the Endler types) and I was hooked on fish right then and there.

I got my first Meta Frame 10 gallon tank a few weeks later and I've basically been keeping fish ever since except for the three years I was in the Army.
Willie

LizStreithorst

I remember those meta frame tanks.  Those were my first tanks
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 21, 2022, 01:34:58 PM
I remember those meta frame tanks.  Those were my first tanks
...I do too...I repaired a LOT of them...!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Barb

Hi folks, good stories today!  Learned new things about chickens from Liz, guppies from Willie and how busy Ron always is.  It is nice here today, I am doing some yardwork, had lunch with a friend at a restaurant on the river, now getting ready to do housework.  My first tank was the metal frame, black slate bottom, was that the Metaframe?  I was about 14 when I had my first tank, 10 gal with guppies, like Willie.  Also had a parakeet then too. But had to give all away when we moved to Canada.  No more fish for 6 years, then fish ever since. That is a lot of fish years.  Have had cats since I was 20 also.  No dogs or other pets.  Have a good rest of the day everybody!
Barb

wsantia1

Quote from: Barb on April 21, 2022, 02:39:26 PM
Hi folks, good stories today!  Learned new things about chickens from Liz, guppies from Willie and how busy Ron always is.  It is nice here today, I am doing some yardwork, had lunch with a friend at a restaurant on the river, now getting ready to do housework.  My first tank was the metal frame, black slate bottom, was that the Metaframe?  I was about 14 when I had my first tank, 10 gal with guppies, like Willie.  Also had a parakeet then too. But had to give all away when we moved to Canada.  No more fish for 6 years, then fish ever since. That is a lot of fish years.  Have had cats since I was 20 also.  No dogs or other pets.  Have a good rest of the day everybody!
Barb

Barb, yes that was the Metaframe. I also had a parakeet too. 8) Liz I have more about chickens in the last couple of years than I ever know before.  |^| |^| |^|
Willie