• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 20, 2024, 08:03:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,359
  • Total Topics: 18,544
  • Online today: 779
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 763
Total: 764

Oil refineries

Started by Mugwump, January 17, 2017, 05:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Irony at its finest: Oil refinery threatened by rising sea levels, asks government to fix problems.

Big oil companies invest big chunks of their profits (which are bigger than many countries?) into climate change denial. As I wrote a while ago, 9 out of 10 top climate change deniers are linked with Exxon Mobil, the biggest private oil company. Still, there are some brilliant scientists working for oil companies, and they understand what is happening and preparing for it ? after all, you wouldn?t make plans to explore oil in the Arctic areas if the ice wasn?t melting.

They?re also very open in accepting climate change when it suits them. Recently, an oil refinery from Delaware is asking taxpayers to pay for protecting it from rising sea levels. The refinery is just on the water front, and vulnerable to sea level rise, storms and even coastal erosion. Naturally, they invested lots of money in the facility, and don?t want to see it destroyed.

The federal Coastal Zone Management Act provides grants to states for projects such as building out natural barriers, like dunes, to protect against storm surges. The oil refinery believes it too can ask for money, after making its ?fair share? of contributions to global warming.

?The extent of the shoreline erosion has reached a point where facility infrastructure is at risk,? says the permit application from the company.

Well sure, we wouldn?t want any damage to be done to the refinery by global warming, especially as refineries are one of the main causes of global warming. We should protect it, so that it can cause even more global warming, so that we can protect it more.

Just so we?re clear ? I?m not saying the oil refinery shouldn?t be protected just because it?s an oil refinery ? I?m saying that there?s a lot of irony in this ? and if oil companies want to be protected against the effects of climate change, they should first admit their part in climate change.

To make things even more interesting, this facility is a particularly bad actor even by the standards of oil refineries since it is refining dirty tar sands oil; and that?s not all. The refinery?s proposal is to construct a type of dam which will likely direct more storm surges toward Delaware City, the adjacent town. Bravo! I applaud you! What you lack for in common sense, you make up in audacity. But hey ? at least they?re not denying climate change? that?s something.

http://www.zmescience.com/ecology/environmental-issues/irony-finest-oil-refinery-threatened-rising-sea-levels-asks-government-fix-problems/
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Hmmm. I am not that far from those refineries. I wonder which one is the main polluter. The refineries here are small potatoes compared to the one in New Jersey.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.