• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 07:28:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,337
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 609
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 589
Total: 589

Monday, Monday.....

Started by Mugwump, November 27, 2017, 11:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

My only errand is done..that's it unless we go out for a bite when the coed gets home... huh

...truthfully, when you saw the thread title you hummed or sang....

"Monday, Monday, so good to me
Monday mornin?, it was all I hoped it would be
Oh Monday mornin?, Monday mornin? couldn?t guarantee
That Monday evenin? you would still be here with me
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I don't hum along until the afternoon.  I'm a slow waker upper.

I spent 3 1/3 hrs bagging and packing fish this morning/ early afternoon, then drove them to the post office.  What a chore!  I know that I'm a slow bagger and these were all triple bagged.  It took forever.  But I shipped off 64 fish and opened up 2 65 wides and a 20 high.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 27, 2017, 02:41:56 PM
I don't hum along until the afternoon.  I'm a slow waker upper.

I spent 3 1/3 hrs bagging and packing fish this morning/ early afternoon, then drove them to the post office.  What a chore!  I know that I'm a slow bagger and these were all triple bagged.  It took forever.  But I shipped off 64 fish and opened up 2 65 wides and a 20 high.

....tank space ?.....what's that..... huh
Jon

LizStreithorst

I'll fill up the 65's soon as some fish are a bit crowded.  I have fewer than 50 HB's left so they'll be fine in the 120 for a while.  Two spawns of Sunset pearl scales just went free swimming.  They'll go into the 20 when I remove them from their parents.  They aren't large spawns and there was a high percentage of culls last time.  The Blue silver pearl scales just spawned this morning although the male is more of a ghost that a silver.  He's the only man the female would have.  I put an extremely nice non pearl scale blue silvers in the 120 with the young half blacks.  They spawned 2 days ago but their eggs are slowly turning white because the water is too hard.  They might be het for pearl scale and they are very nice wide finned blue fish.  I'd like to let them have a go, but I can't right now.

I keep trying to cut back and it keeps on not working.  I may dump the Sunsets and send them to the LFS but I hate to.  They are such beautiful fish but there is no market for them.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 27, 2017, 03:09:09 PM
I'll fill up the 65's soon as some fish are a bit crowded.  I have fewer than 50 HB's left so they'll be fine in the 120 for a while.  Two spawns of Sunset pearl scales just went free swimming.  They'll go into the 20 when I remove them from their parents.  They aren't large spawns and there was a high percentage of culls last time.  The Blue silver pearl scales just spawned this morning although the male is more of a ghost that a silver.  He's the only man the female would have.  I put an extremely nice non pearl scale blue silvers in the 120 with the young half blacks.  They spawned 2 days ago but their eggs are slowly turning white because the water is too hard.  They might be het for pearl scale and they are very nice wide finned blue fish.  I'd like to let them have a go, but I can't right now.

I keep trying to cut back and it keeps on not working.  I may dump the Sunsets and send them to the LFS but I hate to.  They are such beautiful fish but there is no market for them.

Sunsets sell well up this way, especially veils.....Capt'n Bob's wife Gale loves them too.... |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst

Mine aren't veils but they have a striking orange cap.  They are very beautiful.  I advertised a proven parent raising pair on Aquabid for $100.  I had just one inquiry.  A guy asked for pics of the parents with kids which sent him and he still didn't buy.  On the other hand they have beaten my door down for half blacks.  Half Blacks are cool fish but they are not "fancy"  My orange capped pearl scale sunsets are extremely fancy.

What I don't get is...if half blacks are just h/h X h/h. Why is the market not full to the brim with them?  And if perscale sunsets are so eye catching why go unwanted?

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 27, 2017, 05:20:17 PM
Mine aren't veils but they have a striking orange cap.  They are very beautiful.  I advertised a proven parent raising pair on Aquabid for $100.  I had just one inquiry.  A guy asked for pics of the parents with kids which sent him and he still didn't buy.  On the other hand they have beaten my door down for half blacks.  Half Blacks are cool fish but they are not "fancy"  My orange capped pearl scale sunsets are extremely fancy.

What I don't get is...if half blacks are just h/h X h/h. Why is the market not full to the brim with them?  And if perscale sunsets are so eye catching why go unwanted?

It's because 95% of the pairs don't produce many HB fry that turn.....if any.....remember?.....and as pretty as the pearl Sunsets are.....there really aren't the number of 'Pearl' fans that you might think there are......
Jon

LizStreithorst

I have been told that half blacks produce more half blacks unless something is up with the water quality.  On the other hand, my old line quit turning when they became inbred.  I guess there's more to it than "they" say.   The stripeless hb's that I bought are next to worthless.  They were inbred, too.  I'll dump them off to the LFS

I need you advice.  Would I be better just concentrating on getting the blue gene and forgetting about the PS gene?  The more I think about it the more that I think it's the way to go.  My blue silver wi fi pair is of better quality that the blue silver ps/ghost ps pair, and the PS gene is weak and also isn't seen in the black of the fish.  I'm leaning toward going with quality rather than fanciness in this case.

The ps sunsets should have a huge market among the multitudes who want beautiful fish in their tank and don't care about breeding them.  They are not among the folks who buy on AB.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 27, 2017, 05:57:20 PM
I have been told that half blacks produce more half blacks unless something is up with the water quality.  On the other hand, my old line quit turning when they became inbred.  I guess there's more to it than "they" say.   The stripeless hb's that I bought are next to worthless.  They were inbred, too.  I'll dump them off to the LFS

I need you advice.  Would I be better just concentrating on getting the blue gene and forgetting about the PS gene?  The more I think about it the more that I think it's the way to go.  My blue silver wi fi pair is of better quality that the blue silver ps/ghost ps pair, and the PS gene is weak and also isn't seen in the black of the fish.  I'm leaning toward going with quality rather than fanciness in this case.

The ps sunsets should have a huge market among the multitudes who want beautiful fish in their tank and don't care about breeding them.  They are not among the folks who buy on AB.

..of course they make more HB when paired to another HB......the key phrase is ""they don't all turn HB, or very few turn"".....then they are worthless because they just look like silvers...

Yes, I'd do the blue project, if it were me.... huh
Jon

LizStreithorst

Bless you.  The blue silvers are better fish.  I'll give them a love nest and put the ps pair in another tank.  I'm not ready to dump the ps pair yet, though.  They just layed a shit load of eggs on a penis and I want so see how the spawn turns out.

I'll give the non ps blue silvers a love nest in the empty 20 high and work with them if they follow my rule of parent raising.  They are beautiful fish and most deserve to be crossed with the half blacks.  Every offspring from my half black pair turned, even the cull!  $180. pus shipping was not too much for that strong pair.