• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 11:01:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 799
  • Online ever: 799
  • (Today at 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 576
Total: 576

Morning all (Saturday)

Started by BallAquatics, September 10, 2016, 06:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on September 11, 2016, 07:14:17 AM
Is Fedora more of a development format?....seems so?..

It's more of the testing version of Red Hat linux.  Red Hat was one of the first linux distributions to offer paid for support and for a while enjoyed the lions share of the business linux business.  I don't think that's true anymore.  Most of the linux servers these days run on Ubuntu simply because of their "long term support" versions.

The lady in question said she normally ran Ubuntu, but needed something specific to doing an export from an Oracle database and it was simply easier to install a copy of Fedora to do the job.  RedHat / Fedora uses a different package system for it's software packages so I just assumed what she needed wasn't available in the proper package format to install on a box running Ubuntu.  If it's something you really need, you can repackage software but it's a long process and I got the opinion her task was just a one-off.

Quote from: wsantia1 on September 11, 2016, 07:14:42 AM
Glad you had a great time Dennis.  |^| |^| |^| |^| |^|

Thanks Willie.

Dennis