• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 04:28:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 799
  • Online ever: 799
  • (Today at 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 529
Total: 529

Here's Something Good!

Started by BillT, August 14, 2015, 05:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

Wind power produced electricity is now very cheap and based on price the first choice of utility companies.

http://cleantechnica.com/2015/08/13/us-wind-energy-priced-time-low-needs-policy-stability-continue-growth/

from the article:
Wind power now comprises 33% of all new US electricity capacity additions since 2007,
is meeting 5% of the country?s electricity demand, and
represents more than 20% of total electricity generation in three states, and more than 12% in nine states.

Mugwump

...lov'n it too....good find  8)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

If only the damn Republicans would stop blocking the wind farms.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2995334
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

GraphicGr8s

http://www.clintoncountyleader.com/opinion/article_99f7656a-41d0-11e5-b5cf-1fc204e0a06a.html

http://instituteforenergyresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Wind-2-e1437773708777.png

For the record. I am all for alternative energies. Just not government subsidized alternative energy. It's too expensive.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

GraphicGr8s

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 14, 2015, 06:56:56 PM
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/07/study_finds_wind_turbines_can.html

I imagine the folks in the rich Repub neighborhoods would find them offensive too. Property values?..or oil/gas/elect stock portfolios ?? ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

Yeah Jon.
Years ago they needed to build a new school here. No one wanted it in their neighborhood. Including my boss.
I remember when I lived up north people wanted to live near the school.

I've got no real problem with the sea wind farms. Great structure for fishing. But they are detrimental to fowl.

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 14, 2015, 07:43:46 PM
Yeah Jon.
Years ago they needed to build a new school here. No one wanted it in their neighborhood. Including my boss.
I remember when I lived up north people wanted to live near the school.

I've got no real problem with the sea wind farms. Great structure for fishing. But they are detrimental to fowl.

Ours are out in/around farm fields...they zap a bird, or two, now and then.....but then they fly into windows too....sadly they don't learn too quickly..
Jon

GraphicGr8s

Mugwump

Jon

BillT

Cats probably kill more birds than wind turbines, but wind turbines can probably kill bigger birds.

PaulineMi

Quote from: BillT on August 14, 2015, 08:52:24 PM
Cats probably kill more birds than wind turbines, but wind turbines can probably kill bigger birds.

They do. Eagles and hawks are so busy focusing on the ground that they will actually get hit by the propellers. Bats get killed by them also.

We have an ever growing number of wind turbine farms about 25 miles north of us. It's all farmland. I have watched our local eagles fish, hunt and even feed youngsters on our little lake. I hope they stay south of the turbine farms. However there's been talk of bringing them into our county. Of course then my next concern is property values.....
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

GraphicGr8s

My niece is a power engineer and while she was in college worked on some of these ideas. She posted recently about a new generation turbine that was kinder than the old stuff.

PaulineMi

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 15, 2015, 03:16:31 PM
My niece is a power engineer and while she was in college worked on some of these ideas. She posted recently about a new generation turbine that was kinder than the old stuff.

There is definitely a need for that....  👍
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on August 15, 2015, 06:23:11 PM
Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 15, 2015, 03:16:31 PM

There is definitely a need for that....  👍

+1....
Jon