• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 11:05:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 642
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 500
Total: 500

OK I might finally be a bit concerned.

Started by GraphicGr8s, September 10, 2017, 03:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GraphicGr8s

Seems as though the weather may be a bit "rough" the next few hours. But I am boarded up and hunkered down. By the time Irma gets to Tampa it will only be a cat 3.
Massive water changes were done last night.
If power goes down I lose the well. I hate not being able to take a really long hot shower when I get up.
My stove, unlike most here, is propane so at least I can cook. My water heater is propane also but not much good with no power for water.

Oh well. At least it's not boring. But my back is killing me.

See you guys on the flip side of Irma.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

LizStreithorst

fill every empty container you have with water while you still have it.  Do you have a generator?
Always move forward. Never look back.

GraphicGr8s

I've filled two 55 gallon barrels and some 5 gallon buckets.
No generator. Never seemed to have the need for one nor the money. I decade ago I did consider a whole house Generac.
My neighbor has one that will power his well. I've got one hose bib near one of his and we have connected before. He might let me so at least we can shower. My AP 100 draws 100 watts. I am going to see if I can power a UPS by connecting a car battery to the battery terminals on that and at least run the pump every couple of hours. I've got both vehicles full of fuel. Mower (commercial) parked in front of the fish house and while not full has enough to run for a couple of hours. Plus I have 10 gallons in cans.
I've got family in Tampa so if the roads are clear I can get there for water. It's a half hour ride but doable.
Everything hinges on what happens in the next 12 hours.

I've got about 150 bottles of spring water. Generally I by gallons for the house. What we used up we refilled with well water.

We froze a bunch of them to extend freezer time if no power.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

LizStreithorst

GraphicGr8s

Thanks Liz.
This is the one time I wish I had a smart phone though.
I put my Fios on backup. When power goes I'll turn it all off and save the backup for times when I need the wifi for my kindle. Not sure how long I'll get but for a short time I'll be able to get local, not national weather.

Mugwump

...take care and be safe......we'll be thinking about you..... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

GraphicGr8s

So we boarded up. And that was a good thing since something hit that plywood mighty hard on more than one occasion. No damage to my house or any of the neighbors.
But.
No power.
My neighbor in back, the one on the west and the one on the south side have power. Not us.
Monday a neighbor said I could borrow a generator. Just had to put on the carb and gas tank. No big deal. It runs but after half an hour it sputters and dies and needs restarting.
The neighbor with power allowed me to hook up to his well so I have water. (In reality we both do it when one is down and the other is running)

I ran the AP 100 every few hours to keep the fish "comfortable". We shall see how they faired tonight.
Yesterday I left work early. His wife heard me start the generator. Wanted to borrow the mower since theirs went down. Sure. I'm not going to use it today.
I'm leaving to go back into Tampa to get the wife from work and the kid from abuela's and I see Ron out their walking backwards onto my place. He's unraveling an extension. Bringing me power from his RV hookup and we were able to span 250 feet between his cord and my 125 footer. I'm inside hooking up the fridge and he brings over a portable AC. How much more can God bless me?

Supposed to get power by Friday midnight.

Debbie calls me and says power trucks are now down our easement.

Power when I get home? Could be.

Wish I had known that though. I would have thrown the fish house breaker off so the pumps wouldn't start.

Mugwump

..you have to love good neighbors.....I'm glad that you/family and the house are okay...that's the main thing... |^|  here's hoping that you have power back when you get home later.. |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

great news.  I'd been worrying about you.

GraphicGr8s

POWER WAS ON WHEN WE GOT HOME!!!!!! mim

Massive water changes in 30+ tanks last night. Sponge filters rinsed. Finally hit the sheets at 1 am. Up at 6:30 for work.

Tonight I will do the tanks in the house and if I have the energy and time will do the hang on back filters in the fish house.
One pleco that was in with a cichlid is dead. Might have been predation though as he's nipped at the other pleco I removed. Thought I took them both out.
No other losses.

All of my plecos and cats are from RC Bows. Since his stroke at the beginning of the year he has been unable to care for them. We got a bunch of them sold and the rest me and another guy took most of them. I'm going to try to breed and sell as he was doing. Plus keep his super red project going.

And I am still trying to redo the fish house one section at a time. I need more efficiency in it. Also need to get all 70 tanks up and running in there.

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on September 14, 2017, 09:20:56 AM
POWER WAS ON WHEN WE GOT HOME!!!!!! mim

Massive water changes in 30+ tanks last night. Sponge filters rinsed. Finally hit the sheets at 1 am. Up at 6:30 for work.

Tonight I will do the tanks in the house and if I have the energy and time will do the hang on back filters in the fish house.
One pleco that was in with a cichlid is dead. Might have been predation though as he's nipped at the other pleco I removed. Thought I took them both out.
No other losses.

All of my plecos and cats are from RC Bows. Since his stroke at the beginning of the year he has been unable to care for them. We got a bunch of them sold and the rest me and another guy took most of them. I'm going to try to breed and sell as he was doing. Plus keep his super red project going.

And I am still trying to redo the fish house one section at a time. I need more efficiency in it. Also need to get all 70 tanks up and running in there.

I was unaware of Ron's stroke...if you see him, please give him my best....

...are you doing his cories too?...I've gotten cories from him on/off.....
Jon

GraphicGr8s

I've got his albinos, bronze, long finned bronze and another I have not ID'd.
I've also got his whip tail, long finned, albino, calico, and regular plecos.

I try to see him every Wednesday. I have missed the last three though because I was under the weather and then of course the weather. I think he got power back yesterday. A friend of ours goes to check on him every couple of days and went and cleaned up his yard a bit before Irma. He's about a mile away I am 40 minutes away.

Me and Gene, the guy that is close, would meet over there on Wednesdays and change water, clean tanks, take tanks down, etc. We have all of his tanks empty and now we are cleaning them trying to sell as many as we can for him. gene would go over every two to three days to hit them with feedings. But it was tough on us. Trying to care for his plethora of tanks and our own.

Ron Sower

...glad everything turned out okay for you GG8...those storms are strong and you missed a lot of damage....
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: Ron Sower on September 14, 2017, 11:03:53 AM
...glad everything turned out okay for you GG8...those storms are strong and you missed a lot of damage....

Have you seen any of the footage out of the Keys?
Holy cow. The devastation.
I thank God every day for his Blessings and always watching over us. He is good.