• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 01:44:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,327
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 621
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 598
Total: 599

Re-Evolving the Chicken

Started by BillT, September 16, 2015, 11:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

Similar to experiments last century in breeding foxes for domestication by selecting for lack of fear, someone is doing the same thing with chickens and watching what happens to various traits.

http://news.sciencemag.org/evolution/2015/09/here-s-what-happens-when-you-rewind-clock-chicken-domestication

I would argue something similar could be happening with highly bred fish lines.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on September 16, 2015, 11:50:57 AM
Similar to experiments last century in breeding foxes for domestication by selecting for lack of fear, someone is doing the same thing with chickens and watching what happens to various traits.

http://news.sciencemag.org/evolution/2015/09/here-s-what-happens-when-you-rewind-clock-chicken-domestication

Of course it is happening with tank raised species....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on September 16, 2015, 12:46:40 PM
Quote from: BillT on September 16, 2015, 11:50:57 AM

Of course it is happening with tank raised species....

Very interesting read.  I agree that it is happening with tank raised fish. Look at the fancy Goldfish and Betta Splendens. If returned to the wild in only takes them a few generations to look like common carp and wild bettas again.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BillT

If a lack of serotonin causes a loss of fear, then it makes sense to me that they should grow faster, larger and have larger eggs.

This sequence is supported by aquacultural research:

A lack of fear should reduce stress.
Aquaculture studies have shown elevated stress levels are compensated for by using more nutritional energy.
This would take away from energy for growth.
A smaller fish makes smaller eggs.