• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 16, 2024, 05:43:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,355
  • Total Topics: 18,543
  • Online today: 852
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 840
Total: 840

Got eggs

Started by LizStreithorst, July 23, 2014, 03:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

My new female has spawned with my excellent male in a breeding tank in the fish room with RO water.  The TDS may still be too high, but I have my fingers crossed.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Congrat's Liz.....I know that you've been waiting for this spawn....good luck !!  ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

TDS is still too high.  I just checked it.  If they hatch I'll be lucky.  My hopes won't be dashed until they spawn again in a week when their water is perfect.   My poor lovely male has been through a lot.  So much worry over stupid fish....

Barb

Yes, worry is what we discus keepers do a lot of at times.  Seems unavoidable.
Barb

greydragon

how high is your tds level?

LizStreithorst

It's 100.  It takes a long time to get my water down to breeding levels.  I don't know why.  The only reasons I hold out hope is that once I got wigglers in straight tap with Angels and once with Discus.  My female is a Stendker and Stendker's are known to produce wigglers in harder water.

Mugwump

100 isn't that bad, I've bred angels in 200+ tds...no problems.....keep the faith girl.. ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Best of luck with the new pair Liz!

Dennis

LizStreithorst

That last batch was eaten so I swapped out the breeding cone for one that I could put a cage over.  I came home today to the female laying as my damn male watched with his breeding tube still stuck inside him.   He is proven, but that doesn't matter much if the fish won't get it down.

I have another PB male but he is not the quality of this one.  The lesser quality fella just had fry with a good quality but inappropriate female in tap water in the community tank.  He took good care of the wigglers but they eventually got eaten as I knew they would be.

I think I'll give the top quality male one more chance.  If he doesn't do his job next time I'll swap him for the lesser quality one. 

Mugwump

Patience.....sometimes it takes pairs several tries to get it right....if you keep mixing them up too often, they act like they don't care........and they likely don't.....they do need to bond a little..
Jon

LizStreithorst

She has eggs again this afternoon.  Her tube is still down.  If his is still down, and it might be down, it sure is tiny for such a big fish.  He and she have been fond of one another since the last egg laying.  He's bitten me during WC for the past week even when the eggs were gone.  Yesterday and the day before they were bowing and shaking to one another and touching each other with their bodies and fins.  It looked love to me.

When I get back from FedEx I'll put a cage over the eggs and see if I get wigglers.  If he got it down and did his job, I will.  I'm not sure of how I will proceed if I don't.

Mugwump

Well, good luck with the spawn... ;D...........and drive safe
Jon

LizStreithorst

Got wigglers!  The male is a sneaky son of a gun with a teeny little winky

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 08, 2014, 07:17:41 AM
Got wigglers!  The male is a sneaky son of a gun with a teeny little winky

LOL.....he got it done tho....LOL    likely just dobber shy????? ;D
Jon