• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 01:53:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 509
Total: 509

How long before it's us?

Started by BallAquatics, July 07, 2015, 02:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Conservative businessman Donald J. Trump is now the Republican nominee for President in 2016! Against all odds, Trump defeated the political establishment and 16 well-seasoned opponents, and still remains with record-high poll numbers.

Now, Trump?s campaign manager Corey Lewandowski appeared on CBS? This Morning and explained exactly who Trump is looking for in a Vice Presidential running mate.

This is a major hint, and fits perfectly with the unorthodox campaign Trump is running. Incredible!

As Lewandowksi explained, Trump will pick ?someone who has federal elective experience so they understand how to make sure that they can get his legislative agenda done.?

That means rumored candidates such as Gov. Chris Christie (NJ), Gov. Rick Scott (FL) and Gov. Rick Perry (TX) would be disqualified.

However, conservatives such as Gov. Mike Pence (IN) fits the description, because he?s a former Congressman. Also, this means former head of state George Bush is ? by far ? the most likely candidate, as he has extensive Federal legislative experience and was an early Trump supporter.

Lewandowski opined that the Federal agenda Trump needs help with includes, ?tax cuts for the middle class, reducing our debt ? creating a better economy, renegotiating our bad trade deals.?

This is a bombshell scoop and should be interesting news leading up to the RNC convention in Cleveland, Ohio:

What do you think about Trump likely picking George Bush as his VP running mate?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

Won't happen. Sounds like a joke to me.

Bush wasn't an early Trump supporter. He ran against him and they were very antagonistic.

It will be interesting to see who he chooses. He's been pretty weird and negative recently.
He going to have to say something that seriously addresses some issue eventually, or else anybody will be able to beat him.

LizStreithorst

I so want it to be done and over with.  Just 5 more months of suffering.  Bernie will fall into line, I feel it.  I yearn for a third party candidate.  I am too old to move from the place I love to Canada.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

There are a lot of "third parties" (libertarian for example ("the only party with two elected Republicans on their ticket")), just not so many good parties.

Party On!

BillT

Here is a question that should be asked of Donald Trump, but has not been yet:

Donald Trump claims judges of Mexican or Islamic decent could be biased against him because of his political stands.

If Trump were black or some other minority and
he had made disparaging remarks about whites,
would a white judge be so mindlessly assumed to be biased against him?

LizStreithorst

All I can say about that is that it's a good thing I'm not a judge.  My huge bias against racists would so overcome me that I'd have to recuse myself.  Apparently the judge in this case is ignoring Trump's disgusting remarks and will judge the case according to it merits.  It's the way the United States is supposed to work.

What I don't understand is why trump's catering to the lowest common denominator and inciting fear and loathing of "the other" has worked so well for him?  I just don't get it.  We all came from immigrants in this country except the poor Native Americans who were doing just fine until we came along.

BallAquatics

"On Point" had a really good show today about Trump and his motives and why he acts the way he does.  Should be available as a pod cast be too long.....

Dennis

BillT

QuoteWhat I don't understand is why trump's catering to the lowest common denominator and inciting fear and loathing of "the other" has worked so well for him?  I just don't get it.  We all came from immigrants in this country except the poor Native Americans who were doing just fine until we came along.

IMHO, its a combination of several reasons:

1) The Republican base (those most inclined to vote in their primaries) are predominated by people who respond well to that kind of message.
Over the past 10-20 years the Republican party has been kind of purging itself of those more moderate elements who used to be in the GOP. These people were popularly known as RINOs (Republican In Name Only) and as they left the party, the overall political extremeness of the party has gone right-ward. Many older moderate Republicans have said that the party left them (moved to the right).

2) In a propagandistic exercise, the continual drilling in to the Fox News listening base of a bunch of made up stuff and intentional degradation of just about everyone who is not Republican has increased their uninformed and highly emotional dislike of non-GOPers.

3) The playing to the racist base elements (along with others like non-racist Christian groups) for 15 or 20 years during elections, but never fulfilling their promises to those people has made them more pissed off. This was probably done (by the "leaders") for several reasons like they promised things that simply could not happen (for constitutional reasons) or for reasons of political expediency (like not wanting to turn off whole demographic groups like hispanics or blacks). In reaction many of the base elements are turning to more extreme characters that they feel might do better by them.

4) Trump has clearly attracted a lot of racists to the GOP who might not normally find people to support. A lot of the GOP has what look like racist policies (such as preventing minorities and other non-GOP aligned people from voting) but they hide their nastiness behind more politically correct words that don't provoke as much of a response. Trump openness about his racism has brought them troglodytes out of the woodwork (or some Trump supporters would say brought new people into the party), which is further driving the party to the right (also know as wrong).

This has worked well for him within the GOP, but probably won't in the wider general population.
Trump may change his approach (if he is able to control himself like a normal politician) or he may not. I am expecting that he won't.

Its my feeling they are in a vicious cycle of going more right and attracting even further more right people to their shrinking group. The more establishment GOPers are afraid of this trend because in the long run it will doom them to insignificance unless they change direction.

ghonk

ghonk

The    "I'm votin for Trump" starter kit.

BallAquatics

Other than the "FOX News", that's pretty much how I was raised.  Nothing wrong with Lynyrd Skynyrd or the NRA in my opinion.  Hell I even drove a truck for a bit.....  it might have stuck, but I wasn't 21 and the company couldn't insure me...  LOL

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Quote from: BallAquatics on June 06, 2016, 04:10:48 PM
"On Point" had a really good show today about Trump and his motives and why he acts the way he does.  Should be available as a pod cast be too long.....

Dennis

That program doesn't air here until 9 pm.  If I zonk out before they I will listen to the pod cast.  Thanks, Dennis.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 06, 2016, 05:00:41 PM
Quote from: BallAquatics on June 06, 2016, 04:10:48 PM

Dennis

That program doesn't air here until 9 pm.  If I zonk out before they I will listen to the pod cast.  Thanks, Dennis.

9PM...??.....naw, I'll either have my nose in a book, or be zonked out too....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson