• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 07:40:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 496
Total: 496

How long before it's us?

Started by BallAquatics, July 07, 2015, 02:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: ghonk on March 28, 2016, 02:48:54 PM
Quote from: GraphicGr8s on March 28, 2016, 02:38:07 PM
Part of it was cut and paste Jon.
I did the research on how SS worked a few years ago.
The site I copied parts from was only to save me from retyping.

Stealing from it however is still a moot point. As you have less workers supported the retirees it has to fall apart. Just like any Ponzi Jon.

So what's the answer,in your opinion?

To be honest? I really don't know. I do know we need some kind of a safety net if you will. Just not sure how to run it. Definitely not another Ponzi.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: ghonk on March 29, 2016, 01:50:05 AM
Paul's rent is $1000 a month,he gets paid weekly and budgets $200 a week towards the next payment.
But Paul also has a cocaine habit,and spends about $150 out of that $200 every friday night on his binges.

Paul now lives in his car,if only he would have budgeted   $250 a week rather then the $200 he wouldn't have this problem. 

Paul wants to know if you can spare some of that Ravioli.

Sorry to hear about "Paul's" cocaine habit. Hope you find help with that "Paul".
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: Mugwump on March 29, 2016, 07:41:30 AM
The pilfered money does matter because with it SS will with stand the 'boomer' bubble. There are plenty of young folks working, and factoring the longer life expectancy, and adjusting the ages for benefits accordingly...all will be fine...or are you stumping/trolling to promote Ryan's plan which sounds like a government run, individual 401K/IRA, that basically benefits the rich/stock market...?   sure that'll work...not...........take a look at the young electorate, these young folks are lucky they can tie their shoes...

SS was never meant to be a person's entire retirement package....it was meant as a stop gap for those without any retirement at all. We as workers/citizens have contributed to the fund all our lives. It is not entitlement....we paid for it. The pool was robbed period. Bitch all you want, but you're griping up the wrong tree.....

Jon statistically it is incorrect. SS started with 40+ people per retiree. It's now less than 2.

I am not paying for my own retirement. I am in effect paying yours. The next generation is paying mine. Just like the Ponzi it is. The difference is there are now less people paying into it. You just can't make up workers. Right now we have over 94 million former workers, people who can't find a job and yet are not counted on any unemployment rolls. That number goes up each month. And that number takes away from the SS contributions.

In my opinion SS is in fact an entitlement. We are entitled to that money because we contributed into the fund. Welfare and all the other non contributory programs are, in my opinion not entitlements, just another handout instead of a hand up. Another program that is a total failure.

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on March 29, 2016, 09:01:22 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on March 29, 2016, 07:41:30 AM
The pilfered money does matter because with it SS will with stand the 'boomer' bubble. There are plenty of young folks working, and factoring the longer life expectancy, and adjusting the ages for benefits accordingly...all will be fine...or are you stumping/trolling to promote Ryan's plan which sounds like a government run, individual 401K/IRA, that basically benefits the rich/stock market...?   sure that'll work...not...........take a look at the young electorate, these young folks are lucky they can tie their shoes...

SS was never meant to be a person's entire retirement package....it was meant as a stop gap for those without any retirement at all. We as workers/citizens have contributed to the fund all our lives. It is not entitlement....we paid for it. The pool was robbed period. Bitch all you want, but you're griping up the wrong tree.....

Jon statistically it is incorrect. SS started with 40+ people per retiree. It's now less than 2.

I am not paying for my own retirement. I am in effect paying yours. The next generation is paying mine. Just like the Ponzi it is. The difference is there are now less people paying into it. You just can't make up workers. Right now we have over 94 million former workers, people who can't find a job and yet are not counted on any unemployment rolls. That number goes up each month. And that number takes away from the SS contributions.

In my opinion SS is in fact an entitlement. We are entitled to that money because we contributed into the fund. Welfare and all the other non contributory programs are, in my opinion not entitlements, just another handout instead of a hand up. Another program that is a total failure.

You're not talking rationally....of course you're paying in for your own retirement....dollars don't have participants names on them, it's a retirement pool.....and a pool that would accrue much more needed funds, if those funds that were 'lifted' would be returned.....you can't compare the numbers of contributors in the past to present day, or future dollars/per....the dynamics of the core population/salaries made/etc have changed drastically from the onset, to today's numbers.....you can't mix your apples and oranges to justify spewing sour grapes in your thoughts, and predictions...

...and in today's conservative lingo....

"In present-day politics, the term "entitlement programs" is used as a snarl word by conservative politicians and pundits to describe any benefits program that uses tax dollars. Generally speaking, they use the term to encompass the collective social programs established by prior generations: Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and WIC are all included in this grouping. Conservative arguments against entitlement programs range from privatization to dissolution, claiming that the entities are mismanaged, too expensive, and/or rife with corruption."
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Quote from: Mugwump on March 29, 2016, 08:02:41 AM
Oh boy...this will work, huh ?.... huh

More than 5,000 support petition to allow guns at Republican National Convention in Cleveland
By Doug Livingston
Beacon Journal staff writer
Published: March 24, 2016 - 12:13 PM | Updated: March 25, 2016 - 10:28 AM

Support has more than quadrupled overnight for a petition to allow firearms at the Republican National Convention in Cleveland.
The petition, filed by ?Americans for Responsible Open Carry,? was filed Monday on Change.org, an online forum. By Wednesday, 630 supporters had signed the request to carry firearms in and around Quicken Loans Arena, which will host the 2016 Republican National Convention from July 18-21.
With a goal of 5,000 signatures, the petition topped 5,300 by 6 p.m. Thursday.
The Ohio Republican Party, which is sending one of 50 state delegations to Cleveland this summer to nominate the party?s next presidential candidate, said it was not aware of the petition.
Nor was the host committee overseeing the convention, although it noted that the Secret Service, in conjunction with Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, state and federal authorities, is handling security for the event.
?They are coordinating and will be continuously refining security plans leading up to the national convention,? said Alee Lockman, a spokesperson for the Republican National Convention.
The Secret Service banned guns at the GOP convention in Florida four years ago.
The www.change.org/p/quicken-loans-arena-allow-open-carry-of-firearms-at-the-quicken-loans-arena-during-the-rnc-convention-in-july-2">petition calls for:
? Quicken Loans Arena to suspend its open-carry ban during the convention. (The arena actually cites Ohio law on concealed carry in prohibiting firearms.)
? The National Rifle Association to make ?an immediate condemnation of the egregious affront to the Second Amendment,? referring to Ohio law that allows for guns in many but not all public places. (The NRA declined to comment for this story.)
? Ohio Gov. John Kasich to exercise his executive authority to override the ?gun-free zone? loophole in state law.
? Chairman Reince Priebus and the Republican National Committee to explain how ?a venue so unfriendly to Second Amendment rights was chosen for the Republican Convention? and create a backup plan to move the convention (two years in the making) to another city should demands not be met.
? The three remaining Republican candidates for president to continue their pledge to protect the Second Amendment by pressuring the RNC and Quicken Loans Arena.
For or against?
?Americans for Responsible Open Carry,? the name of the group supposedly behind the effort, appears nowhere else online. The group accepts online messages only from networked supporters.
And it?s unclear if the petition or its supporters care to unravel or uphold gun rights.
As signee Bryan Finch of San Luis Obispo, Calif., said in the petition?s comment section: ?I?m signing this because they hate our freedom, also I?m kinda hoping there?ll be a bloodbath at the RNC.?
The petition has drawn considerable criticism on Change.org, an online forum hosting crowd-sourced petitions.
?These guys should work with my other favorite charity ? Americans for Responsible Drunk Driving. They?re also doing great work in the field of horrible ideas,? read the most-liked comment, posted anonymously.
The petitioners, who claim a ?God-given? right to carry, suggest that armed, law-abiding citizens will make the event more secure in a city full of crime.
?Cleveland, Ohio is consistently ranked as one of the top ten most dangerous cities in America,? the petition stated, referencing a Forbes story. ?By forcing attendees to leave their firearms at home, the RNC and Quicken Loans Arena are putting tens of thousands of people at risk both inside and outside of the convention site.?
Criticism of the effort is split between those fundamentally opposing open carry and a more nuanced attack on the Republican Party for not standing behind its traditional support for an uninhibited right to have and hold firearms.
?Hypocrisy is the death of political parties. Stand by your frothy principles, or shut up about them,? wrote a commentator from California, whose argument that Republicans tend to support unabridged gun rights but do not always hold events at open-carry friendly venues has been made before by progressive organizations.
The debate over gun violence and Second Amendment rights is no stranger to RNC host city Cleveland.
The 2014 police shooting of Tamir Rice, 12, forced gun advocates and residents to reconsider police-community relationships, especially after a consent decree from the U.S. Department of Justice highlighted issues with city police and use of deadly force.
The controversy bubbled up in December as a white man exercised his right to openly display an assault rifle while walking the streets of Akron.
Ohio, an open-carry state, does not prohibit law-abiding citizens who are eligible to own guns from walking in public with a loaded weapon, although firearms are not permitted at the Statehouse in Columbus and, even if concealed, can be banned by individual businesses and property owners.
Arena policy
Quicken Loans Arena, for example, forbids guns or ?weapons of any kind? at its heavily attended events.
Venue policy states: ?In accordance with the Ohio?s ?concealed carry? law and the right for private entities to ban handguns on their premises, firearms and other weapons of any kind are strictly forbidden on the premises of Quicken Loans Arena.?
Guns also were banned at the 2012 Republican convention in Florida. The Tampa Tribune reported then that the Secret Service and Tampa trumped state laws that ?block the city from acting to limit guns.?
Doug Livingston can be reached at 330-996-3792 or dlivingston@thebeaconjournal.com. Follow on Twitter: @ABJDoug.

http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/more-than-5-000-support-petition-to-allow-guns-at-republican-national-convention-in-cleveland-1.671384

So who started the petition..??

""Who was behind the petition?

Its content led us to believe it was likely a conservative gun rights advocate who wrote the 800-word memo in hopes of stirring a grassroots movement. But the Internet is a funny - and often anonymous - place.

There's no name attached to the petition, only the handle The Hyperationalist.

A quick Google search led to a Twitter page (@Hyperationalist) and a blog with a Gmail address. I fired off an email, asking a bunch of boilerplate questions and included a plea for the Hyperationalist's identity.

Then I waited.

Around 7:15p Monday, the phone rang.

"Hi, this is the Hyperationalist. You can call me Jim," the voice on the line said.

A few things you should know about Jim: He declined to disclose his last name or any potentially identifying information, but I was able to corroborate his identity as the author of the petition with an employee of Change.org.
Jim wouldn't say where he lives, only that he has roots in Philadelphia and works in the public health sector. Jim is a self-described liberal Democrat who intends to vote for Hillary Clinton should she become the Democratic nominee. He isn't affiliated with a campaign or any advocacy group, but did some volunteer work on Barack Obama's 2008 presidential campaign. Jim is no fan of guns and he's "pretty passionate" about his activism, he says.

Jim says he wrote the petition knowing it was somewhat preposterous -- that law enforcement would never allow the Republican presidential candidates inside an arena with potentially thousands of armed individuals. "There were never going to be guns at the convention. Not a million signatures were going to make that happen," Jim said.

But he also knew that if the Republican candidates sincerely meant what they have been saying about expanding Second Amendment rights, it would logically follow that they should support a move to allow firearms at the convention. "If they can't live in accordance with the policies they impose upon us, they owe us that rational conversation," Jim said.
He continued, "I thought, 'How do we square how unsafe they're going to be with what they say makes them safe?"' The petition was born.

"I take them at their word," Jim said. "[Open carry is] a state law in Ohio. I don't want them to have a terrible event happen [at the convention] and then say if it hadn't been a gun-free zone, fewer people would have died."

Max Burns, a spokesman for Change.org, said support for the petition shot up dramatically over the weekend and it's still going strong.

So is the petition satirical? Jim says not exactly. "I'm 100 percent sincere in my conviction that guns should be allowed at the GOP convention. [It would be a reflection of] the policies they sought to impose around the nation."

He balked at the suggestion he was an Internet troll, arguing the petition is a genuine political statement.

Jim also mused on the logic of why he - the gun control advocate - had to start the petition. "If they believe this so strongly - that gun-free zones are dangerous - why am I the one raising the stink," he remarked. "I think they should take up the cause. It would bring them up on intellectual consistency."
Cruz and Kasich punted when asked about the petition Monday. Both candidates said they would defer to the Secret Service's judgment on the matter. Trump told ABC News he couldn't say whether he'd support the petition because he hadn't read it as of Sunday. ""
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Jon

GraphicGr8s

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/americas-ponzi-scheme-why-social-security-needs-to-retire/

From liberal PBS

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/08/18/5-facts-about-social-security/

Social Security is, and always has been, an inter-generational transfer of wealth. The taxes paid by today?s workers and their employers don?t go into dedicated individual accounts (although 32% of Americans think they do, according to the 2014 Pew Research survey). Nor do Social Security checks represent a return on invested capital, though you might be forgiven for thinking so since the ?personalized Social Security statements? that used to be mailed out once a year and now are available online detail your payment history and projected monthly benefits. Rather, the benefits received by today?s retirees are funded by the taxes paid by today?s workers; when those workers retire, their benefits will be paid for by the next generation of workers? taxes (caveat: see Point 3). Your benefit amount is based on your earnings history and age at retirement, not on how much you and your employer paid in Social Security taxes (although for most people, taxes paid are closely tied to their earnings).

BillT

QuoteFrom liberal PBS

Just goes to show you that now all that is PBS is liberal.
The same is true of other places you are afraid of, like the NY Times.
These places present views from more than one side. Pretty scary!

By the way all this stuff is a bunch of opinions without any real facts being referenced.

Mugwump

Jon

Mugwump

Jon

Mugwump

Jon

GraphicGr8s

I love your poking Trump. It's hilarious.

He does have successful companies though. In many countries. He's pretty much proven he can in fact negotiate with foreign leaders.
And really what does a POTUS really do? Negotiates with foreign leaders and Congress. We know he can do that. And when he's negotiating, whether for himself or another business man who is he negotiating the best deal for? Of course the person who he's making the deal for. So if he were negotiating the deal for the US one would suspect the winner would on fact be the US.
What about Hillary? She stated we lost no one in Libya. Chris Stevens and 3 others were unavailable for comment. She rolled over and went back to sleep when the 3 am phone call came in.
While in the State Dept she did lose $6 billion.
And what about the farce known as the Clinton Foundation?
All those foreign leaders that have "donated" to it?
She's going to fight Wall Street? She gets a bunch of money from there.
And the uranium sold to the Russians? Lying about the Libya attacks and what prompted them? Hint. It wasn't a movie trailer.
She loves talking about how much Wall Street people make but she makes more for one speech than a teacher can expect to make in 10 years.

feel the Bern. My father fought a socialist so you can vote on in as POTUS?

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on April 08, 2016, 09:59:54 AM
I love your poking Trump. It's hilarious.

He does have successful companies though. In many countries. He's pretty much proven he can in fact negotiate with foreign leaders.
And really what does a POTUS really do? Negotiates with foreign leaders and Congress. We know he can do that. And when he's negotiating, whether for himself or another business man who is he negotiating the best deal for? Of course the person who he's making the deal for. So if he were negotiating the deal for the US one would suspect the winner would on fact be the US.
What about Hillary? She stated we lost no one in Libya. Chris Stevens and 3 others were unavailable for comment. She rolled over and went back to sleep when the 3 am phone call came in.
While in the State Dept she did lose $6 billion.
And what about the farce known as the Clinton Foundation?
All those foreign leaders that have "donated" to it?
She's going to fight Wall Street? She gets a bunch of money from there.
And the uranium sold to the Russians? Lying about the Libya attacks and what prompted them? Hint. It wasn't a movie trailer.
She loves talking about how much Wall Street people make but she makes more for one speech than a teacher can expect to make in 10 years.

feel the Bern. My father fought a socialist so you can vote on in as POTUS?

I love how you bash Hillary, then Congratulate Trump on being able to offend the world with his mouth....let alone omit all his misgivings....LOL...

Jon

GraphicGr8s

Jon, I didn't bash Hillary at all. I just listed her accomplishments.

No. I am not a Trump supporter. I voted for someone else in the FL Primary.

Again, he is already dealing with a few of the ME leaders.