• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 07:47:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 493
Total: 493

How long before it's us?

Started by BallAquatics, July 07, 2015, 02:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: LizStreithorst on March 24, 2016, 04:02:17 PM
Can you even imagine them trying to get ss and Medicare passed these days?  No way, no how.
SS. Largest legal Ponzi in the world. And is there really any wonder why it's failing?
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

ghonk

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on March 26, 2016, 11:25:39 PM
Can you even imagine them trying to get ss and Medicare passed these days?  No way, no how.
SS. Largest legal Ponzi in the world. And is there really any wonder why it's failing?

Please don't tell me that you think it should be done away with.

Mugwump

It's doing fine, but would be much more solvent if Congress stopped using it like a piggy bank, and reimbursed for all the funds that were pirated...

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on March 27, 2016, 06:15:38 AM

It's doing fine, but would be much more solvent if Congress stopped using it like a piggy bank, and reimbursed for all the funds that were pirated...

+1
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: ghonk on March 27, 2016, 02:25:56 AM

It will do itself in of its own staggering weight. The worker per retiree rate is falling fast. It is not self sustaining. Most of the major shifts in worker-to-beneficiary ratios before the 1960s are attributable to the dynamics of the program's maturity. In the early stages of the program, many paid in and few received benefits, and the revenue collected greatly exceeded the benefits being paid out. What appeared to be the program's advantage, however, turned out to be misleading. Between 1945 and 1965, the decline in worker-to-beneficiary ratios went from 41 to 4 workers per beneficiary.

The Social Security program matured in the 1960s, when Americans were consistently having fewer children, living longer, and earning wages at a slower rate than the rate of growth in the number of retirees. As these trends have continued, today there are just 2.9 workers per retiree?and this amount is expected to drop to two workers per retiree by 2030.

The program was stable when there were more than 3 workers per beneficiary. However, future projections indicate that the ratio will continue to fall from two workers to one, at which point the program in its current structure becomes financially unsustainable.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on March 27, 2016, 10:26:06 PM
Quote from: ghonk on March 27, 2016, 02:25:56 AM

It will do itself in of its own staggering weight. The worker per retiree rate is falling fast. It is not self sustaining. Most of the major shifts in worker-to-beneficiary ratios before the 1960s are attributable to the dynamics of the program's maturity. In the early stages of the program, many paid in and few received benefits, and the revenue collected greatly exceeded the benefits being paid out. What appeared to be the program's advantage, however, turned out to be misleading. Between 1945 and 1965, the decline in worker-to-beneficiary ratios went from 41 to 4 workers per beneficiary.

The Social Security program matured in the 1960s, when Americans were consistently having fewer children, living longer, and earning wages at a slower rate than the rate of growth in the number of retirees. As these trends have continued, today there are just 2.9 workers per retiree?and this amount is expected to drop to two workers per retiree by 2030.

The program was stable when there were more than 3 workers per beneficiary. However, future projections indicate that the ratio will continue to fall from two workers to one, at which point the program in its current structure becomes financially unsustainable.

..nice cut and paste....but it still doesn't take into account for the government pilfering it over the years....the return of those funds and subtle tweaks to the age requirements will have it going for a long, long time......I'm surprised that you're biting the hand that will feed you...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

Part of it was cut and paste Jon.
I did the research on how SS worked a few years ago.
The site I copied parts from was only to save me from retyping.

Stealing from it however is still a moot point. As you have less workers supported the retirees it has to fall apart. Just like any Ponzi Jon.

ghonk

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on March 28, 2016, 02:38:07 PM

Stealing from it however is still a moot point. As you have less workers supported the retirees it has to fall apart. Just like any Ponzi Jon.

So what's the answer,in your opinion?

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on March 28, 2016, 02:38:07 PM

....but it still doesn't take into account for the government pilfering it over the years....the return of those funds and subtle tweaks to the age requirements will have it going for a long, long time...
Jon

GraphicGr8s

Jon the bipartisan theft of SS funds is irrelevant. It was designed for 41 workers supporting each retiree. It's now 2.8 per retiree. You can replace all the money pilfered, with interest, without the new money coming in a Ponzi fails. There is no amount of "twerking" that will fix the lack of those who pay in. Having 94 million people off the rolls and not counted in unemployment figures doesn't help either.

And the left over ravioli were even better tonight.

ghonk

Paul's rent is $1000 a month,he gets paid weekly and budgets $200 a week towards the next payment.
But Paul also has a cocaine habit,and spends about $150 out of that $200 every friday night on his binges.

Paul now lives in his car,if only he would have budgeted   $250 a week rather then the $200 he wouldn't have this problem. 

Paul wants to know if you can spare some of that Ravioli.

Mugwump

The pilfered money does matter because with it SS will with stand the 'boomer' bubble. There are plenty of young folks working, and factoring the longer life expectancy, and adjusting the ages for benefits accordingly...all will be fine...or are you stumping/trolling to promote Ryan's plan which sounds like a government run, individual 401K/IRA, that basically benefits the rich/stock market...?   sure that'll work...not...........take a look at the young electorate, these young folks are lucky they can tie their shoes...

SS was never meant to be a person's entire retirement package....it was meant as a stop gap for those without any retirement at all. We as workers/citizens have contributed to the fund all our lives. It is not entitlement....we paid for it. The pool was robbed period. Bitch all you want, but you're griping up the wrong tree.....   
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on March 29, 2016, 07:41:30 AM
Bitch all you want, but you're griping up the wrong tree.....

Amen.

Dennis

Mugwump

THE HAIRCUT

Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting.

One day a florist went to a barber for a haircut. After the cut, he asked about his bill, and the barber replied, 'I cannot accept money from you, I'm doing community service this week.'
The florist was pleased and left the shop.
When the barber went to open his shop the next morning, there was a 'thank you' card and a dozen roses waiting for
him at his door.

Later, a cop comes in for a haircut, and when he tries to pay his bill , the barber again replied, 'I cannot accept money from you, I'm doing community service this week.' The cop was happy and left the shop.
The next morning when the barber went to open up, there was a 'thank you ' card and a dozen donuts waiting for him at his door.

Then a Congressman came in for a haircut, and when he went to pay his bill , the barber again replied, 'I can not accept money from you. I'm doing community service this week.' The Congressman was very happy and left the shop.
The next morning, when the barber went to open up, there
were a dozen Congressmen lined up waiting for a free haircut.

And that, my friends, illustrates the fundamental difference between the citizens of our country and the politicians who run it.
Jon

Mugwump

Oh boy...this will work, huh ?.... huh

More than 5,000 support petition to allow guns at Republican National Convention in Cleveland
By Doug Livingston
Beacon Journal staff writer
Published: March 24, 2016 - 12:13 PM | Updated: March 25, 2016 - 10:28 AM

Support has more than quadrupled overnight for a petition to allow firearms at the Republican National Convention in Cleveland.
The petition, filed by ?Americans for Responsible Open Carry,? was filed Monday on Change.org, an online forum. By Wednesday, 630 supporters had signed the request to carry firearms in and around Quicken Loans Arena, which will host the 2016 Republican National Convention from July 18-21.
With a goal of 5,000 signatures, the petition topped 5,300 by 6 p.m. Thursday.
The Ohio Republican Party, which is sending one of 50 state delegations to Cleveland this summer to nominate the party?s next presidential candidate, said it was not aware of the petition.
Nor was the host committee overseeing the convention, although it noted that the Secret Service, in conjunction with Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, state and federal authorities, is handling security for the event.
?They are coordinating and will be continuously refining security plans leading up to the national convention,? said Alee Lockman, a spokesperson for the Republican National Convention.
The Secret Service banned guns at the GOP convention in Florida four years ago.
The www.change.org/p/quicken-loans-arena-allow-open-carry-of-firearms-at-the-quicken-loans-arena-during-the-rnc-convention-in-july-2">petition calls for:
? Quicken Loans Arena to suspend its open-carry ban during the convention. (The arena actually cites Ohio law on concealed carry in prohibiting firearms.)
? The National Rifle Association to make ?an immediate condemnation of the egregious affront to the Second Amendment,? referring to Ohio law that allows for guns in many but not all public places. (The NRA declined to comment for this story.)
? Ohio Gov. John Kasich to exercise his executive authority to override the ?gun-free zone? loophole in state law.
? Chairman Reince Priebus and the Republican National Committee to explain how ?a venue so unfriendly to Second Amendment rights was chosen for the Republican Convention? and create a backup plan to move the convention (two years in the making) to another city should demands not be met.
? The three remaining Republican candidates for president to continue their pledge to protect the Second Amendment by pressuring the RNC and Quicken Loans Arena.
For or against?
?Americans for Responsible Open Carry,? the name of the group supposedly behind the effort, appears nowhere else online. The group accepts online messages only from networked supporters.
And it?s unclear if the petition or its supporters care to unravel or uphold gun rights.
As signee Bryan Finch of San Luis Obispo, Calif., said in the petition?s comment section: ?I?m signing this because they hate our freedom, also I?m kinda hoping there?ll be a bloodbath at the RNC.?
The petition has drawn considerable criticism on Change.org, an online forum hosting crowd-sourced petitions.
?These guys should work with my other favorite charity ? Americans for Responsible Drunk Driving. They?re also doing great work in the field of horrible ideas,? read the most-liked comment, posted anonymously.
The petitioners, who claim a ?God-given? right to carry, suggest that armed, law-abiding citizens will make the event more secure in a city full of crime.
?Cleveland, Ohio is consistently ranked as one of the top ten most dangerous cities in America,? the petition stated, referencing a Forbes story. ?By forcing attendees to leave their firearms at home, the RNC and Quicken Loans Arena are putting tens of thousands of people at risk both inside and outside of the convention site.?
Criticism of the effort is split between those fundamentally opposing open carry and a more nuanced attack on the Republican Party for not standing behind its traditional support for an uninhibited right to have and hold firearms.
?Hypocrisy is the death of political parties. Stand by your frothy principles, or shut up about them,? wrote a commentator from California, whose argument that Republicans tend to support unabridged gun rights but do not always hold events at open-carry friendly venues has been made before by progressive organizations.
The debate over gun violence and Second Amendment rights is no stranger to RNC host city Cleveland.
The 2014 police shooting of Tamir Rice, 12, forced gun advocates and residents to reconsider police-community relationships, especially after a consent decree from the U.S. Department of Justice highlighted issues with city police and use of deadly force.
The controversy bubbled up in December as a white man exercised his right to openly display an assault rifle while walking the streets of Akron.
Ohio, an open-carry state, does not prohibit law-abiding citizens who are eligible to own guns from walking in public with a loaded weapon, although firearms are not permitted at the Statehouse in Columbus and, even if concealed, can be banned by individual businesses and property owners.
Arena policy
Quicken Loans Arena, for example, forbids guns or ?weapons of any kind? at its heavily attended events.
Venue policy states: ?In accordance with the Ohio?s ?concealed carry? law and the right for private entities to ban handguns on their premises, firearms and other weapons of any kind are strictly forbidden on the premises of Quicken Loans Arena.?
Guns also were banned at the 2012 Republican convention in Florida. The Tampa Tribune reported then that the Secret Service and Tampa trumped state laws that ?block the city from acting to limit guns.?
Doug Livingston can be reached at 330-996-3792 or dlivingston@thebeaconjournal.com. Follow on Twitter: @ABJDoug.

http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/more-than-5-000-support-petition-to-allow-guns-at-republican-national-convention-in-cleveland-1.671384
Jon