• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 14, 2024, 10:16:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,346
  • Total Topics: 18,541
  • Online today: 879
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 770
Total: 770

E-Bay binge.....

Started by BallAquatics, May 11, 2015, 12:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

Purchased a laptop and four 15,000 rpm SCSI Raptor drives on E-Bay for right at a C note this morning.

I've been wanting a new laptop to use for on-site network diagnosis and what-not, and found a very nice IBM ThinkPad for $63.00 shipped.

The Raptor drives are to play with other OS.  Cheap drives are great to swap in and out while trying out different distros and at $10 each I just couldn't pass them up.....

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on May 11, 2015, 12:00:58 PM
Purchased a laptop and four 15,000 rpm SCSI Raptor drives on E-Bay for right at a C note this morning.

I've been wanting a new laptop to use for on-site network diagnosis and what-not, and found a very nice IBM ThinkPad for $63.00 shipped.

The Raptor drives are to play with other OS.  Cheap drives are great to swap in and out while trying out different distros and at $10 each I just couldn't pass them up.....

Dennis

...nice, more toys.... ;D...good prices too..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Your talking over my head, Dennis but you sound like you think you done good ;)

I splurged today, too.  I've been wanting a decent radio since my Bose wave got killed due to a lightning strike.  All I wanted was a radio.  I'm simple minded :-[  I looked at the Bose Wave like I had before but then decided to look for alternatives.  I did some research and ended up ordering this  http://www.tivoliaudio.com/products/table-radios/model-one-reg-radio-in-classic-walnut-beige.html
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 11, 2015, 12:33:43 PM
Your talking over my head, Dennis but you sound like you think you done good ;)

I splurged today, too.  I've been wanting a decent radio since my Bose wave got killed due to a lightning strike.  All I wanted was a radio.  I'm simple minded :-[  I looked at the Bose Wave like I had before but then decided to look for alternatives.  I did some research and ended up ordering this  http://www.tivoliaudio.com/products/table-radios/model-one-reg-radio-in-classic-walnut-beige.html

looks pretty sweet, Liz.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

That big tuning knob reminds me of the Advent 300..... another Henry Kloss creation.  It is surely a wonderful radio!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Kloss

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I heard way back that the Kloss radios were better than BOSE.  Hard to believe great sound can come from that one speaker, but they say that it does.  In my research I found out that it's the thing to do these days to bash BOSE but I had the Wave radio and a pair of their speakers and I thought they both were great.  I compared speakers at the store and the BOSE were better and less expensive than the alternatives I listened to, so I'm not a BOSE basher by any means.  If this radio is better than the Wave as smart people say I will be overjoyed.  It cost half as much as the wave.

Sorry I can't wax rhapsodic about your purchase.  I would if I weren't so simple minded ;)
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 11, 2015, 01:56:24 PM
.....Sorry I can't wax rhapsodic about your purchase.....
LOL  That's Okay Liz.  My purchases were just for work.  While the geek in me will likely find some pleasure in working with them, they are not at all comparable to a fine piece of audio equipment.   ;D ;D ;D

You will have to let us know your thoughts on the radio after you have had some time to try it out.

Dennis