• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 11:28:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 642
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 518
Total: 519

What to do?

Started by b125killer, September 11, 2014, 08:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

I have these St. Isabel/Rio Negro fry. I don't think there developing right. They look off to me. I'm not sure what I want to do. should I let them grow out more and see if they get better or cull the little guys. I hate to do it to the hole spawn. just not sure what to do. There is also a lot with short gill plates. I know them will get culled soon. Maybe I stunted them?
Scott

Mugwump

Looks like you had some sliders in there, and there must have been some extra bacteria in the rearing tank ....they didn't develop right.....try to select only the normal good ones and cull the rest......sorry....or just cull em all.....sad...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

There's a couple good ones but not many. That's ok I can use the tank for the new koi spawn. there's about 30 or so of them. Mom and dad are still protecting them. They Got to save the fry from the evil hose.
Scott

Mugwump

How much turbulence is in that tank? I saw the sponge filter, but..??....seemed like a lot of clamped fins???....the swept back ventrals when still, are the sliders....short gill plates can be bacterial influenced poor development.....clamped fins can be the water parameters, health, or turbulence, etc....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

That looks a lot like what happened to my Smokey Paraiba spawn.The swept back ventrals are what made me cull all but 6 from that spawn.  :(
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

b125killer

That was the hardest cull I have done so far. I kind of got use to doing a few bad and sickly fish. But to wipe out the hole spawn just sucked!  :'(
Scott

LizStreithorst

Just wait until you're forced to cull a few tanks full of adults, work up the garden to bury them where they might do some good and 6 days later your rat terrier is in there digging every one of them up and eating them.
Always move forward. Never look back.

b125killer

That would suck! I'm sorry you had to go through that. I hope it never happens to you again. 
Scott

LizStreithorst

That makes two of us.  I survived it without giving up, though.
Always move forward. Never look back.