• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 01:13:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,327
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 618
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 618
Total: 619

Happy Tuesday

Started by Mugwump, November 06, 2012, 07:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Well, the fish and fry are fed....dropped Jan off at work and voted...now to settle in with a big bowl of Wheaties and wait for the rain storm....LOL..that should get a couple pairs a lay'n... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

derick

sounds like a very nice day Jon, in-fact think i will join you mate.  :)
Derick

Ron Sower

I'm ending my day here in front of the tv, and my aquaria,
watching the election results.  Spent most of the day rescaping my 54g corner bowfront tank. Removed some plants and shuffled others around.  Tomorrow I'll hit it with Seachem Flourish and root tabs.  Got some plants out that need to go to our big plant auction next Wednesday. 

Part of what took so much time was working on setting up a Magnum 350 canister filter on the tank.  I've decided I don't like this filter.  I'm going to sell it and stick with my Fluvals, Cascades, and Eheims.

This is the tank I just placed some 4'' Roseline Sharks in.  They are really gorgeous and striking in this planted tank.  So as the hazy water settles out...rather, filters out, I look forward to watching a better scaped aquarium!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Sounds good...too bad you don't like the 'Mag'....they're great reliable filters...they do a great job...pop some pics when things settle down
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

The O-rings are a bother on the Mag.  Maybe I oughta buy some new ones and give it another try. I was just frustrated by te time I got all the pieces together from the box it came in.  It was used and all separated.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Frank The Plumber

The orings on the magnum are a bother because people are too impatient about putting the cap on and are not attentive to the placement or citing of the oring and it gets pinched. Commonly a small amount of calcium or debris will get into the oring seats and displace the ability of the mags orings to seat. Another problem is that the orings dry out from time and abuse, a bit of food safe silicon lubricant or oring lube from the plumbing aisle that is non toxic applied to the rings helps extend the life. Finally the operating life span of an oring seal is typically 3 to 5 years under ideal conditions, opening and closing the unit which is necessary defeats the rings much sooner so a few spare sets are a great thing. I often did tunes and rebuilds on mags when I had my shop, quite a few could get to 10 plus years old and well beyond if maintained well. For a cheap canister they are one of the best.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

Mugwump

Just a 'touch' of Vaseline works too.....once you get the hang of the mag family setups...it's pretty easy....good filters..
Jon