• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 09:20:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 506
Total: 506

Collards and Ham Hocks

Started by LizStreithorst, November 03, 2012, 04:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

You need a big pot for this...Chop up an onion or two.  Brown them in a good bit of oil until they are translucent but getting brown.  Toward the end of this, toss in 4 to 6 cloves of garlic.  Add a couple of tablespoons of flour and stir to make a roux.  Throw in a quart or more of chicken stock.  You can use chicken stock and water or chicken stock and beer.  Give it a couple of glugs of apple cider vinegar.  Throw in 4 smoked ham hocks, a couple of bay leaves and a  big fine bunch of chopped collards.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat.  Put on a lid covering about half of the pot.  Simmer for 3 hours or until the collards are tender and the meat is falling from the bone.  This is better made with smoked pig tails, but they can be hard to find in middle class neighborhoods.   It's good the first day, but even better the second.

Always move forward. Never look back.

Frank The Plumber

I've used Ox tails for this too.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

ilroost

make these about 2 times a year. nobody here likes them but me(thats a good thing, more for me)

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Frank The Plumber on November 03, 2012, 04:37:00 PM
I've used Ox tails for this too.

Frank, you cook!!!!!!  If you're not married will you show up once or twice a year and cook for me in exchange for, well, I can't say what on an open forum.  To give you a hint, my close friends know that I'm a food whore. 

I'm just funnin' you. 

My cooking on average is only fair.  Sometimes I'm inspired and what I make is perfection.  Other times what I make is only fit to sustain life.  If I could  cook as well as I can groom dogs I'd be a happy camper.

Mugwump

Yeppers....oxtail soup is excellent....we're gearing up for some meat/cabbage rolls...Golabki..we make a couple of pans of them....because they always seem to draw company....MMMmmmm

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Tell me how you do it, Mug and I will go in search of Ox tails.  Are they smoked Ox tails? 

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 03, 2012, 05:26:35 PM
Tell me how you do it, Mug and I will go in search of Ox tails.  Are they smoked Ox tails?

We just get what's available...sometimes the smoked ones..but here's the recipe that we use
to make it...give or take to taste..it's pretty good....we don't use the wine but a friend does when she makes hers...that's good too....

?2 pounds oxtail, cut in 1 to 1-1/2-inch chunks and trimmed of excess fat
?1/2 cup unsifted flour plus 2 tablespoons
?2 Tablespoons beef drippings or cooking oil
?2 medium-size yellow onions, peeled and minced
?2 quarts water, or 6 cups water and 1 pint beef broth or bouillon
?2 Tablespoons tomato paste
?2 teaspoons salt
?1/4 teaspoon pepper
?1 bay leaf
?1/2 teaspoon thyme
?3 cloves
?2 sprigs parsley
?2 medium-size carrots, peeled and diced
?1 stalk celery, diced
?1/3 cup dry sherry or port wine (optional)

Roll oxtails in 1/2 cup flour, then brown in drippings in a large, heavy kettle over high heat; drain on paper toweling.

Turn heat to moderate and stir-fry onions 8 to 10 minutes until golden; sprinkle in remaining flour, mix well, and brown lightly.

Slowly add water, stir in tomato paste, salt, and pepper, also bay leaf tied in cheesecloth with thyme, cloves, and parsley. Return oxtail to kettle, cover, and simmer 3 hours until meat is fork tender; cool and skim off fat; remove cheesecloth bag.

Separate meat from bones, cut in bite-size pieces, and return to kettle along with carrots and celery. Cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes until carrots are tender. If you like, mix in sherry or port wine.

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

That sounds pretty good.  The geletinous parts of the tails thicken it, right?  I could make it with pig tails, I bet.  I need shop where the black people shop.  I'll find them there.  I can't wait to make this!

Barb

Liz I am not a collard fan but your recipe sounds so good I am going to make it for us soon.  Thanks!  Will try Mug;s recipe too.
Barb