• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 09:06:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 663
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 624
Total: 624

Enough already.....

Started by BallAquatics, November 01, 2012, 10:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

With the election less than a week away we find ourselves under a barrage of rhetoric on the TV and constant phone calls.  Frankly, I've had enough.  All I want is.....

Dennis

Ron Sower

How do you find the truth?  It is my opinion and probably a fact that most of the adverse information we see and hear about candidates is taken completely out of context.  For instance, it is said about one candidate running for AG of Wa that he was pleased to have represented a cop-killer in his trial.  What wasn't said is that he was (I believe I have this right) in law school and was appointed to represent the alleged killer.  I can see that it would be exciting for a law student to be involved.  I'm definitley not an enthusiast for cop-killing (my granddad was a cop in my hometown of Roanoke, VA), but our country's laws still allow a defense representative for an accused person.

When others around me begin to discuss politics, I just shut up and back off because I have nothing of value to contribute to the conversation!

Anyway, back on the point.... I'm so tired of all the lies, inuendos, and out-of-context-campaign-rhetoric I want to go to the desert and watch the cacti flower!

That's my politcal statement and I stand by it!!!

Ron

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BillT

I kind of like politics (my day was a DC lobbyist and PR guy), but on the other hand I am not in a swing state (Oregon) and am therefore spared a lot of the over the top advertizing. Also I don't watch much TV or radio. I listen more to podcasts.
I have strong political views but will spare you guys them since they would be inappropriate for this forum.

However, if you are into the horse race aspect of things however I would recommend Nate Silver's 538 blog where he predicts the outcome based a statistical analysis of all polls and some other info. Last Prez. election he predicted 49 of 50 states. Before that he was a sabremetrics/money ball kind of guy, predicting who were better baseball players based on statistical analysis. An approach now mainstream in baseball management.

Frank The Plumber

I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

Mugwump

" I see nothing"......It's become annoying.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: Ron Sower on November 01, 2012, 11:58:43 AM
Anyway, back on the point.... I'm so tired of all the lies, inuendos, and out-of-context-campaign-rhetoric.....

Spot on Ron, my point exactly!

Quote from: BillT on November 01, 2012, 01:26:33 PM
... I would recommend Nate Silver's 538 blog where he predicts the outcome based a statistical analysis of all polls and some other info.

Thanks for the link Bill.  As a reluctant participant in the local politics for about a dozen years, (several years ago), I like to keep informed.  A democracy only works when the public is involved and informed.

Dennis

Frank The Plumber

Or sufficiently lied to......
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jo

Quote from: Ron Sower on November 01, 2012, 11:58:43 AM
How do you find the truth?  It is my opinion and probably a fact that most of the adverse information we see and hear about candidates is taken completely out of context.  For instance, it is said about one candidate running for AG of Wa that he was pleased to have represented a cop-killer in his trial.  What wasn't said is that he was (I believe I have this right) in law school and was appointed to represent the alleged killer.  I can see that it would be exciting for a law student to be involved.  I'm definitley not an enthusiast for cop-killing (my granddad was a cop in my hometown of Roanoke, VA), but our country's laws still allow a defense representative for an accused person.

When others around me begin to discuss politics, I just shut up and back off because I have nothing of value to contribute to the conversation!

Anyway, back on the point.... I'm so tired of all the lies, inuendos, and out-of-context-campaign-rhetoric I want to go to the desert and watch the cacti flower!

That's my politcal statement and I stand by it!!!

Ron

I have to agree with you Ron I'm tired of it too! I also want to go somewhere and watch wildlife or cacti bloom or anything but all the BS!
Jo

Ron Sower

I'm told we're especially bombarded here in WA with local ads because we're about to legalize pot and gay marriages and we'll be watched by other states.  This is a liberal state..!!!  Ya think? 

(The content of this post does not necessarily reflect the beliefs and attitudes of the poster.  It is, however, approved by somebody out there..!!)
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

I have a heavy leaning toward the left, unlike most fish people I know.  In this election, I will not vote.  If I were to, it would be for Obama on the basis of his health care law which he has not promoted much in the campain because it is not popular.

Romney says one thing today and another tomorrow.  His campaign advisor was right.  He's running his campain using an Etch-O-Setch. 

Obama promised to close Guantanimo.  He did not.  That issue has disappeared into oblivion.

I don't like either of them.  Trust me, they are peas in a pod.  Nothing will change.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

I totally agree with you, Liz.  I've been saying they are all pretty much alike; party doesn't matter.  "I'll tell you whatever you want to hear..just fote for me!!!"
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BillT

Don't forget the Supreme Court.
They are the direct reason that some people are seeing so many political ads.
Political choices affect our lives, whether you take part or not.

Mugwump

Well, one more day with a barrage of ads....then we'll know. My opinion is that everyone who can vote, should vote. Opinions are like a$$holes..everyone has one....use yours..go vote..
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on November 05, 2012, 06:07:39 AM
..go vote..

Great advise Jon.  If we want things to change, we are the ones who are going to have to change them!

Dennis