• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 09:30:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 663
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 621
Total: 621

Happy hump day!!!

Started by Mugwump, October 24, 2012, 07:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Morn'n all, another good day.....I need to do some water changes and tidy up downstairs and clean up the bbs hatchery tanks and bottles...I made a few extra 2 ltr bottle rigs and I guess I'll just pitch the old ones out....?? oops, and I need some more sea salt...

I hope the frozen bloodworm guy shows up for the sawp..getting low there too...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Regualr table salt works just fine for me and my Discus friends.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 24, 2012, 07:54:38 AM
Regualr table salt works just fine for me and my Discus friends.

Regular table salt has iodine....you have non-iodized table salt, right?.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Regualr table salt works just fine for me.....

That's what I use too.  I experimented will all kinds of salt and never noticed any measurable difference.  I can get 26 oz. non-iodized salt at Wal-Mart for around .52 cents.  If memory serves, the last time I did the math, it costs me about .17 cents to hatch a 1 gram (225,000 nauplii) batch of bbs.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on October 24, 2012, 08:26:41 AM
Regualr table salt works just fine for me.....

That's what I use too.  I experimented will all kinds of salt and never noticed any measurable difference.  I can get 26 oz. non-iodized salt at Wal-Mart for around .52 cents.  If memory serves, the last time I did the math, it costs me about .17 cents to hatch a 1 gram (225,000 nauplii) batch of bbs.

Dennis

Yea, I know...I can get the non iodized stuff at 'Wally-World' pretty cheap too..but the local mom&pop sell the sea salt cheap and I give them the business....good folks.....
My hatch rates do seem better with it, for some reason....

Jon

Ron Sower

I don't do this yet, but being right here in the Puget Sound region, some of our club members go down and bring back several 5g pails of saltwater and use it and get tremendous hatching sucesses.  Others go to Seattle Aquarium an buy their tank effluent for just pennies.  The aquarium pulls it right out of the Sound treats it somehow and runs it thru the aquarium and shoots it out the other end!  Members use this for their BBS hatcheries and for their salt tanks.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

BillT

I use rock salt in 40lbs bags for regenerating water softeners.
I also add sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) at 3/16 of a teaspoon/liter.
This increases the pH which should get them to hatch better.
The room is warm (~80˚F), but I do not continuously illuminate the eggs (which is also supposed to get them to hatch better).

I used to use Instant ocean for my rotifers, but now I just use the rock salt for that.