• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 02:35:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,347
  • Total Topics: 18,541
  • Online today: 815
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 766
Total: 766

A few Youngins

Started by EdKaz, May 31, 2014, 04:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Even I could tell that it wasn't a shadow, Mug ::)

Please tell me what happens to leopards as they mature.  I have no clue and I want to know.
Always move forward. Never look back.

EdKaz

Quotedo you know exactly what the parents are....?

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) uhmm.............NO

The male was the large clown with the big veil you seen last time you were here and took a liking to........he and a female clown (who is no longer) were sold to me as a pair (chitown john).....together they never did a thing but look at each other >:(

I took him and stuck him with the female he is with now..........she is  the pinoy smokey Pariba??? from yet another pair that did NOTHING as a pair, and the male just watched EVERY female I have stuck him with lay from off in a far corner. SHE is the one I pointed out to you last time you were here, and told you she was having issues with her tube each time she laid.

These are the parents.....

A better but stil crappy pic of her

The majority of Her eggs typically dont make it to wigglers (this is her 3rd male here) Out of 100-150-200 eggs or more I am HAPPY to see 50 not turn white within hours of being laid. From their last batch I might have 75-100 4 day old fry swimmin in a 2 1/2 now.

Point is.... using the two of them as a pair to try to figure out genetics would be futile IMO......MOST of her eggs go south in a hurry and would skew the results. I kept em together until now because of the interesting things I was seeing in their last batch from a month ago....and was hoping to get one or two more spawns from the OBVIOUSLY OLD and tired gal.

When I take the babies from the female Dark clown that IS het for pb and her smokey pariba mate in a week or two, My plan was to stick the male clown (that is het for pb), with the female het pb dark clown. I was hoping to see at least some pinoy clowns from that new pairing

Here is a pic of his third future ex .......

As far as what came out of the pair the leopards did.....theres........ smokeys, some pb some not, some blushers some not......theres blacks,  DEEP RICH black blushers,  as well as pinoys, and MAYBE even a Turq or 5.........some blue blushers, as well as paribas.....and than theres those the dark and light leopards both pb and not.

The first batch of around 50 from them is tickling dime size and their second batch of maybe 100 so far has only been swimming 4 days.

LOTS of interesting fish in the mix to grow out for future projects FOR SURE.

When ya get a chance put on your "greek speak" spectacles and take a ride down to see what I might be missing. I should have have a ton of fresh free swimmers from the Dark Female clown (I plan to hook the male clown  up with) that she had with a smokey pariba. They are popping off the sponge filter she moved em to as I type............COME GET YOU SOME

EdKaz

QuotePlease tell me what happens to leopards as they mature.  I have no clue and I want to know.

From what I remember reading of Doc Nortons stuff and looking over it again here........http://www.theangelfishsociety.org/forum/content.php/58-Dr-Norton-Article-Leopard-Angelfish .............the leopard pattern typically fades to a smokey like pattern :'(

LizStreithorst

:'(

I love the female.  I can sure 'nuff see where the hb look comes from.  I like the looks of the male's future ex, too.  Her dorsal is strong and  beautifully spotted.  The male's dorsal has the same pattern but the fin has a crook in it.  What worries me most is that both fish have droopy tail fins. 

People think that breeding is easy.  It is not easy. 

EdKaz

QuoteThe male's dorsal has the same pattern but the fin has a crook in it.  What worries me most is that both fish have droopy tail fins.

Yeah...... that male was in a 20 when I first seen him, and later when I bought him. The tank was all of 16-17 inches tall.....that fish when at attention and fins erect is all of 11-12 tall tip to tip.

As far as "droopy tail fins"......you had me going to the tanks to look at em.

Must be the angle I took the pictures from or they were using their tails to swim in those pics. Aint no droop in em like what I see in the pics ......after you mentioned it.

Ill try and get better pics of them up  later or tomorrow for further inspection ;)

LizStreithorst

Quote from: EdKaz on June 01, 2014, 03:02:15 PM
QuoteThe male's dorsal has the same pattern but the fin has a crook in it.  What worries me most is that both fish have droopy tail fins.

Yeah...... that male was in a 20 when I first seen him, and later when I bought him. The tank was all of 16-17 inches tall.....that fish when at attention and fins erect is all of 11-12 tall tip to tip.

As far as "droopy tail fins"......you had me going to the tanks to look at em.

Must be the angle I took the pictures from or they were using their tails to swim in those pics. Aint no droop in em like what I see in the pics ......after you mentioned it.

Forgive me for being so critical, my friend.  I believe you.  The only way I can learn is by telling what I see and finding out whether I'm right or wrong.  Strong finnage is a big deal for me.  I have  a dominant male half black whose tail droops unless he's in breeding mode.  It bothers me.

I'll forgive your male due to his poor upbringing.  I'd love a pic of him with his dorsal standing straight.

Ill try and get better pics of them up  later or tomorrow for further inspection ;)

Mugwump

Ah, the infamous inspection tour..............LOL ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

EdKaz

QuoteForgive me for being so critical, my friend.  I believe you.  The only way I can learn is by telling what I see and finding out whether I'm right or wrong.  Strong finnage is a big deal for me.  I have  a dominant male half black whose tail droops unless he's in breeding mode.  It bothers me.
I'll forgive your male due to his poor upbringing.  I'd love a pic of him with his dorsal standing straight.

No need to apologize....I appreciate the honest feedback on the fish I have here as I too am still learning.

All the adults I have here now are recent acquisitions (Feb/March) AS adults........... FEW hit my tanks "perfect". When I restarted my fish room earlier this year finding excellent quality adult fish locally, and  for reasonable prices to get things ramped up here was near impossible. ( cept for that Miller characters fish  ;) )

The clown male is in a 29 now and Im sure he will be even  happier in the 38 gal cube tank he is going to be tossed in soon.....Its 23 inches tall. While his tail doesnt droop, the tip of his dorsal is done for....short of clipping it and letting it regrow.... MAYBE.

In all honesty......HIS fin tip appearance isnt all that important to me YET ......UNLESS it turns out to be genetic and his offspring have that crooked tip.
If they do when they grow out.......I'll no doubt be upset, but out they..and HE goes............and back to square one I go.

All I can do in the meantime is take good care of the babies............AND WAIT. 

EdKaz

Hey John......cleaned up the tank a lil, chnaged some water this morning..............and how does that go?

Oh yeah..........BOOMBA

The mugs female Koi laid.......... and the Chitown John (CTJ) BIG Veil koi fertilized.

Now hoping neither gets all stupid all of a sudden, and starts chowing.

LizStreithorst

You're a good teacher, Ed.  Thanks.

Mugwump

BOOMBA !!!!!!!!!! is right  ;D.....fingers crossed  ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JR

You have some fine looking fish ED
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

EdKaz

Thanks Jr.

I wish I could take credit in purposely making things happen here, but the truth is the adult fish I have here are all fairly new to me.
Many of the non Koi  nice looking youngins are coming out based on little more than my current  " lets see what this does " methodology. A mixing up of pairs to try to figure out just who is made of what, with some pleasant surprises that have served to simply FURTHER confuse me, while filling up too many tanks trying to grow out most, just to get a better look at them. ???