• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 07, 2024, 04:57:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,330
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 427
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 379
Total: 379

Murphy constantly licking his paws....

Started by Ron Sower, September 24, 2017, 09:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sower

...Hey, Liz or anybody else that can help....

...Our Shitzhu is constantly licking his paws...

...any idea why he does this?  ...he's being fed grain free dry dog foods and Rachel Ray's specialty non-grain wet foods...

...is there any way to get him to stop?... huh huh
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

Quote from: Ron Sower on September 24, 2017, 09:55:08 PM
...Hey, Liz or anybody else that can help....

...Our Shitzhu is constantly licking his paws...

...any idea why he does this?  ...he's being fed grain free dry dog foods and Rachel Ray's specialty non-grain wet foods...

...is there any way to get him to stop?... huh huh

...allergy's or dry skin?
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

It's almost impossible to break them of that.  Check her ears and make sure she doesn't have dirty brown ear wax.  If she has that it's a yeast infection.  The dog scratches it's ears and the yeast infection can spread to her feet.  The thing is,  once the dog gets to licking it's feet, the licking becomes a habit like a kid sucking his thumb.  It gives them comfort huh  I know it's terribly anoying.  The feet become red from saliva stains so it's unsightly as well.  If a physical problem is ruled out the only thing I have ever heard of working is Prozac and even Prozac doesn't work on most.  Sorry....
Always move forward. Never look back.

Barb

Ron, our son has a big white boxer who did that.  The vet diagnosed a yeast infection on his feet, probably gotten like Liz described,  it was treated someway, and the dog doesn't do it anymore.
Barb

Ron Sower

Thank you a bunch, ladies. We'll be checking into that.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Kobe started doing that a while back and the vet said it was allergies. She told me to give him a Zyrtec once a day. I did that and luckily he stopped licking his feet before a habit kicked in.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Ron Sower

..that's the first thing we'll try...thanks, Willie...
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Quote from: Ron Sower on September 26, 2017, 11:13:47 AM
..that's the first thing we'll try...thanks, Willie...

Your welcome Ron but I would look into the yeast infection too.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.