• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 05:50:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 652
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 611
Total: 611

Silicone Airline Sucks

Started by ghonk, March 27, 2016, 04:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghonk

I normally use vinyl airline since it's cheaper and I B poor,but when i ordered my alita pump from Ken's i figured i would try the deep blue silicone since the price was reasonable.

This stuff sucks,it gets a build up of gunk on it.Then when i pull my ATI filters apart to squeeze out the sponge it breaks off and i end up  with the shit floating around in the tank.

I need to get some more airline,but it's back to vinyl for me.
Now i need to remember who i got the vinyl from that had a smaller inside diameter,which was a bitch to get on the nipples of the ATI filters.   

Mugwump

I haven't had any problems with the blue...?..WallyWorld has those 25ft sections that have a smaller ID...but I just wave my lighter under the tip for a few seconds and push it on the nipples....and when it cools they're harder to get off, and they seem get hard quicker than the blue line....I bought some lite green colored line at a swap one time....wish that I could find more of it... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

I purchased some deep blue silicone from Ken's too and it is without a doubt the worst silicone line I've ever had. 

When I first got it, it just put it  on a shelf for the longest time.  One day in the fish room I knew I had an electrical problem.  You know, you can smell that smell of something electrical getting too hot.  I looked hi and low and it turned out to be the smell coming off of the roll of deep blue silicone line.

I've had the green that Jon talks of, and some white that was wonderful.....  the deep blue silicone, I'll never buy again.   ???

Dennis

wsantia1

I bought some blue line from Foster & Smith but it wasn't deep blue. I have no problems with mine. Unfortunately I used it all and threw away the box during one of my half ass cleanups of the fishroom not long ago. huh

This is the stuff I got. It's neither vinyl or silicon.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3669+8046+6127&pcatid=6127
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

ghonk

Before i bought it i read some reviews and people mentioned the smell.
I also noticed   white growth spots on the glass and bottom in about 3 of my tanks,all using the blue line.

I have never seen that in the tanks using the vinyl,like the bacteria is growing on the airline and spreading to other parts on the tank.

wsantia1

Quote from: ghonk on March 27, 2016, 06:55:45 PM
Before i bought it i read some reviews and people mentioned the smell.
I also noticed   white growth spots on the glass and bottom in about 3 of my tanks,all using the blue line.

I have never seen that in the tanks using the vinyl,like the bacteria is growing on the airline and spreading to other parts on the tank.

I've been using this for over a year and I have not noticed a smell or anything spreading on mine.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.