• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 08:38:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 652
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 619
Total: 619

PLASTIC AIR STONES

Started by ghonk, October 29, 2015, 05:18:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Aron posted about them a year, or so, ago......I haven't seen any around here, or at swaps..??

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

big b

I haven't tried them but I don't think I would if given the chance. They look like they might fall apart. I prefer the natural air stones.

LizStreithorst

David brought a ton of them in on my suggestion.  He sold them cheap as dirt.  Don't know if he still has them in stock.  These Asian air stones rock.  They are the best air stones ever made. 
Always move forward. Never look back.

big b

If you don't mind me asking, how are they the best?

LizStreithorst

They are narrow so you can stick them in sponges to make the bubbles finer.  They are adjustable so you can set the way the bubbles come out.  They are cleanable.  They never wear out.  Is that enough?  They cost next to nothing in Asia.  Dealers in the States ask a fortune for them.  David sold them cheap.

ghonk

The ones in my links aren't the multi colored ones,thought they might be an option since you don't have to have them shipped from CHINA,and they are fairly cheap if you buy in quantity.

big b

LizStreithorst

I have a fish room.  I use tons of air stones.  I prefer using ones that don't clog up because I think that air stones shouldn't need replacing.  Your kind is fine for someone who just has a few tanks.  I want to have stuff that is made to last forever.  It's just my way of doing....

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 29, 2015, 10:16:11 PM
I have a fish room.  I use tons of air stones.  I prefer using ones that don't clog up because I think that air stones shouldn't need replacing.  Your kind is fine for someone who just has a few tanks.  I want to have stuff that is made to last forever.  It's just my way of doing....

I agree Liz...anything that will last and can be cleaned is great....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

I used to bleach my clogged air stones, just like cleaning the micron filter for the Hot-Mags.  Switched over to all Jet-Lifters a couple of years ago.  They rarely need cleaning and are quick and easy when they do.....  Moves lots more water with less 'bubble' noise too.

https://youtu.be/AJ7uFCKaxDo

Dennis

wiggs

Dennis, What do they look like? shows the water moving but not what makes it move like that. If it doesn`t take any more electric to run I might be interested.
Jan

Mugwump

Quote from: wiggs on October 31, 2015, 08:16:34 AM
Dennis, What do they look like? shows the water moving but not what makes it move like that. If it doesn`t take any more electric to run I might be interested.

They run off your air system...look closely and you'll see an air line going in the top...same/similar to the 'matten' filters...
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: wiggs on October 31, 2015, 08:16:34 AM

Jon's correct, they run on air......

The air line attaches to the dark colored collar at the bottom of the lift tube.  Under the collar there are dozens of tiny holes drilled into the lift tube.  The tiny bubbles move up the inside wall of the tube leaving the majority of the tube free to carry water.  That's how they move such a high volume of water.

If they start to get clogged up, you just pop off the collar and use a bottle brush to clean the holes in the lift tube.  They cost a bit, but when you factor in that they never wear out and are very easy to maintain the cost per hours of use is very low.

I've got about 100 of them running now for 2+ years.  About 25% have been cleaned while the others have required zero maintenance.

Dennis