• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 05, 2024, 12:51:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,329
  • Total Topics: 18,535
  • Online today: 707
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 682
Total: 683

Heaters. In general

Started by GraphicGr8s, August 26, 2014, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GraphicGr8s

Commenting on another forum where it seems the folks are of the, uhm, well younger generation the discussion was on heaters and temps.
So the question. Do you guys worry about precise measurement or is "about" OK?
My own opinion borne out of all the time in the hobby is that "about" is perfectly fine. I don't calibrate any heater ever. I check once in a while with a good thermometer and if it's about where I want it it's fine. Little warmer little cooler doesn't matter.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

I check any new heater temp 'range' and adjust the heater temp up/down to get it close...then all's cool......I always check because some heaters can vary widely +/- to the extreme on occasion....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Rjb3

The "about' thing would be fine for the average person that just wants to keep a few fish.

Every day while feeding I dip my finger in the tanks. You can tell if one is warm or cold. That way if a heater sticks, you'll catch it in time. You need to check at least once a day. I did several times a day.

Temperature is critical when doing water changes on fry tanks. I always used a digital meat thermometer. The water going in the tank was exactly the same temperature every time. If I removed 79.4 degree water, that's what went back in.

LizStreithorst

About is good enough for me but I don't let it drop below 82 except during WC.  My WC water is a bit cooler as I think it simulates a good rain.  The reason I like 82 is because I keep Discus and they don't do well in lower temps.  I change water every day so my hands are in the tanks every day.  If there is a noticeable difference between tanks I check with an inferred thermometer.
Always move forward. Never look back.

PaulineMi

I check my water temps about every two days because it's fun using my relatively new infrared radar gun type thermometer. In addition to the tank water I can also check the temps of the walls, the doors, the stereo and have the fish chase the red dot in their tank.  ;D ;D ;D
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on August 26, 2014, 03:07:32 PM
I check my water temps about every two days because it's fun using my relatively new infrared radar gun type thermometer. In addition to the tank water I can also check the temps of the walls, the doors, the stereo and have the fish chase the red dot in their tank.  ;D ;D ;D

LOL..and here I thought that I was the only one that played with the infrared temp guns.....LOL....what a great tool tho....yep, hands in the tanks daily (I like to play with the fry ;D)...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

About is usually good for me.

When in labs exact temperatures (for zebrafish) are common because the eggs develop at extremely dependable rates at certain temperatures, but that is the only real reason for it.

In the wild fish in almost any environment will be swimming around through different temperatures and therefore seeing temperatures changes pretty rapidly.

Ron Sower

Quote from: BillT on August 26, 2014, 04:09:24 PM
In the wild fish in almost any environment will be swimming around through different temperatures and therefore seeing temperatures changes pretty rapidly.

Bill has hit it on the nailhead! When the fish swim in the shallows, it's warmer water usually. And in the depths, cooler.

I have been leaving most of my tanks at room temps...70-74. They are community tanks for the most part. If I've got fish I want to spawn, I'll use heaters to maintain a 'close enough' temp range. But it's been awhile since I've really been trying to spawn any.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron