• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 12, 2024, 10:23:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,341
  • Total Topics: 18,539
  • Online today: 662
  • Online ever: 915
  • (May 10, 2024, 12:47:31 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 590
Total: 590

Dallas Pet Pro Classic

Started by LizStreithorst, March 25, 2015, 09:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

It's a trade show.  They have all sorts of stuff for sale but more importently they offer classes from groomers who can put out work way better and more easily than I can.  They also have grooming competions where the stress is on.  Your work gets judged by people who know their stuff.

I used to go to Atalana and Dallas every year until it got so I couldn't afford it.  I missed Atlanta.  Dallas will be in late Sept.  I have the fire in my belly to compete.  My dogs are just pets.  They are not good.  One is a Lhasa who kinda bites.  The other is a Toy Poodle who will stand to be groomed but hunkers down when I stack her for examination.  I want to enter both of them.  I may be able to borrow a Bichon to replace my Poodle.  He's a large Bichon but he comes every week His owner believed me when I told him that he needs to because his coat is like a pile rug.

I don't know that I'll do it, but I would love to.  There are people there who were once competing and are now big deals in the association.  I would like to see them again.  They will remember me.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Peer related events are the way we learn more, and show our skills too. Best of all is the getting together with old acquaintances that share your passion for it all...... like fish shows, swaps, conventions..... ;D   
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

That sounds like an interesting event.  Grooming takes skill and patience...especially the type you do with the matts, tangles, nails, clippers and scissors plus some uncooperative dogs.  ;)  I had Afghan Hounds that I used to show...unbelievable grooming required.  I so can appreciate your dedication and attention to detail working with those pups....and their owners. :)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Quote from: PaulineMi on March 26, 2015, 11:01:38 AM
That sounds like an interesting event.  Grooming takes skill and patience...especially the type you do with the matts, tangles, nails, clippers and scissors plus some uncooperative dogs.  ;)  I had Afghan Hounds that I used to show...unbelievable grooming required.  I so can appreciate your dedication and attention to detail working with those pups....and their owners. :)

I've only done one Afghan in full coat.  It was back when I was a new groomer and I didn't know about products that help the job.  Back then, they probably weren't as good as what we have today anyway.  The dog came weekly and every week was matted.  Thank God the dog was good, but the job was a nightmare.  If you had more than one to keep in show condidtion you have all my respect.

PaulineMi

I had four.  Never had a long coated breed after that.   :o
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

I'm really getting the urge.  I hope it passes.  Perhaps I'll go just for the classes.  I'd love to compete, but I no longer have a dog with the temperament for it.  I miss my Standard Poodle.  He was born to compete.  He had an attitude that said, "Look at me.  I am drop dead goreous"