• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 08, 2024, 10:00:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,337
  • Total Topics: 18,538
  • Online today: 577
  • Online ever: 799
  • (May 03, 2024, 03:51:52 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 565
Total: 565

L144 black splotches...

Started by Mugwump, October 01, 2014, 04:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

....weird, some of the L144 fry from their previous batch, are getting what looks an ink splotch 'at random' on their bodies....really different, and hasn't shown up before.....has to be a latent gene from a crossing way back in one of the parents....???...I'll try to get a pic, if the snots hold still that is......... 8)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

JC

I have 2 out of my 10 breeder size that have a black splotch. I thought it was weird too. I got mine from Mike Gibbs a few months ago

Mugwump

Quote from: JC on October 01, 2014, 04:34:35 PM
I have 2 out of my 10 breeder size that have a black splotch. I thought it was weird too. I got mine from Mike Gibbs a few months ago

It appears that a past L144 breeder's pleco genes are making the circuit???...That's not cool...all that inbreeding makes for some strange happenings....HHMMMmmmm,,,I may have to see what Pleco Pete has in December....get some new blood.....if you, Mike, and I, have them....it's the tip of the iceberg..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

After i saw your post,i googled them.
Someone else said they had one with a black spot.

Also saw something about a false L144,a hybid.
Which supposedly many of them are.

JC

I'll still breed mine and see what happens. I'll keep you posted

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on October 01, 2014, 05:44:25 PM
After i saw your post,i googled them.
Someone else said they had one with a black spot.

Also saw something about a false L144,a hybid.

Interesting article, Greg.....I've had multiple batches and it only popped up in one of them....figured it was a throw back...which is more the explanation....I believe the blue eyes came from an out cross too...originally......
Jon

Mugwump

I might add that only a small percentage of the fry display the splotch tho.....breeding those without it should help alleviate it's happening after a bit......it seems to be a throw back incomplete dominant, because it doesn't show in either parent......and not all inherit the expression...
Jon

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

BallAquatics

Jon, the ones you sent to me are simply gorgeous, no blemishes at all.   ;)

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on October 03, 2014, 11:29:00 AM

Dennis

Excellent...I've checked the others in grow out and it was only that one batch where they appeared. He's releasing from the cave now...I'll 'eyeball' them when I can see them all.
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on October 03, 2014, 11:41:56 AM

Dennis

Excellent...I've checked the others in grow out and it was only that one batch where they appeared. He's releasing from the cave now...I'll 'eyeball' them when I can see them all.

No blemishes on mine either. ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on October 03, 2014, 01:29:47 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on October 03, 2014, 11:41:56 AM

Dennis

No blemishes on mine either. ;D ;D ;D

Good....thanks for looking Willie...
Jon