• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 03, 2024, 03:14:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,328
  • Total Topics: 18,534
  • Online today: 642
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 602
Total: 602

Me and a huge stingray in Mexico, Jan. 24, 2014

Started by Barb, January 28, 2014, 01:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barb

Just 3 days ago I was in the ocean on a stingray shore excursion off our ship.  Here I am with a huge female stingray named Ruby, and a handsome young Mexican man in Cozumel Mexico.  They have the tips of their stinging barbs clipped off, no danger to us, and all the rays wanted anyway was the long strips of squid we were given to feed them.  They sucked the strips right out of our hands within a split second.  The females were about 3-4' across, males about 2'.  They live 40-50 yrs!  This one is about 25 they said. She weighed over 200 lbs.  25 rays are kept captive in a large enclosure off the beach and if a hurricane threatens they are all released.  But they come right back when things settle down.  They love their free squid meals from all us tourists every day of the year.  It was really fun, I declined the snorkeling afterwards that they offered us.
Barb

Mugwump

Whoa...that's a nice sized one there....it really sounds like a great trip....tell us more...more pics too, please.. ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

PaulineMi

That is very cool Barb.  Glad you had such a fun experience.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

shatanka

Gosh, what a great experience and it sounds like an awesome trip! I am jealous! lol I have gone to Seaworld and fed the rays in a tank there. I know what you mean about them "slurping" the squid from your hand. Kind of a freaky, and daunting experience at first huh? But you get the hang of it and it's fun! I can only imagine this fun you had right in there with them! WOW. Take me with you next time you go, will ya? lol

Ron Sower

Hey! That baby is way to big for any of my aquaria!  That had to be fun!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wiggs

Hey, Barb, Looks like lots of fun,cute guy---I mean stingray.  :D
Jan

Barb

Thanks for your nice comments everybody!  It was an especially great experience for me because I am a volunteer at our local aquarium at the beach, and I work with the stingrays there, showing them to the visitors and letting them touch the rays carefully.  But those are babies, less than 18" across.  So, getting to see and touch a 4' wide ray was really special.  She was pregnant and was to have 2 babies any day they told us.  The babies are about 10" when born.
Barb